Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam

We will be going to Amsterdam next June 1st and would like info on organized tours for day trips out of the city.
Any suggestions for a mid-priced hotel which has a lift/elevator which is centrally located?

Posted by
15602 posts

Hi Debbie, I got a great deal on a 4-star hotel in Amsterdam (at less than 3-star price) on priceline.com It is easy to take day trips on your own. For instance, The Hague, Rotterdam and Delft are very easy to get to by train, and the local tourist info offices have tons of stuff, including self-guided walking tours. The only organized tour I ever did in Amsterdam was a "cheese and fishing village" tour that was so commercialized, I regretted wasting the time. While the rest of the bus were combing the tourist shops at the "fishing village" (mostly they were fishing for tourists), I wandered around the quiet streets and into a local bar where I had a beer and some good conversation.

Posted by
37 posts

What was the name of the fishing village and cheese town you went to that wasn't worth the time?

Posted by
15602 posts

Sorry, Michael, I really don't remember. It was a 1/2 day tour to two different towns - the ones all the day tours probably go to.

Posted by
408 posts

I took a tour that my hotel arranged. (Marriott, Rennasance). We went to Delft, The Hague, Rotterdam, and the mini city made to look like Holland? I don't remember the name? We also went to a wooden shoe maker tour and toured the Delft showroom where they made the pottery. It was a all day tour but interesting. You don't always get out and walk around town but drive by some of the highlights. It was a good overall tour of the area. My favorite tour was on my Rick Steve's Best of Europe tour when we visited the flower auction in Alsmeer.

Posted by
989 posts

Darla - It's something like -- Madurodam <spelling> ?? I think that's a must-see if you're travelling with kids --- but to be honest, I really enjoyed it myself amd would revisit it some time.
Of course I do live my life following the mantra "you're only young for a short while but you can be immature forever"

Posted by
32921 posts

It is Madurodam . I've highlighted their English language page.

Posted by
192 posts

HI DEbbie Let me give a shout out to Hotel Aalders as a wonderful mid pricer native. It is not truly central, (in the museum district, but Amsterdam is compact ans easy to walk. This hotel is unbeatable for its location to the museums and I recommend walking on the beatiful quieter west side of the city. Amsterdam is great and the people all speak English and make it easy to be a tourist there Mike
DC

Posted by
73 posts

In 2012 the 'Floriade' is held, the decennial World Horticultural Expo, this time in Venlo, in the south of the Netherlands. I expect there will be organised trips there, but it is just as easy to go by train.