Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam

The end of May we have 6 days to spend in Holland. We obviously want to spend some time in Amsterdam and take some side trips, as well. We are just unsure how much time to spend in the different areas and which areas to sleep in. Amsterdam, Delft, The Hague, Haarlem, side trip areas?
Any suggestions on a good itinerary for 6 days and nights?

Posted by
1064 posts

If I only had six days, I would spend them all in Amsterdam. Side trips are nice, but not if they take away from time in the city, itself. That is my favorite and most visited city in Europe, and I would go back tomorrow if I could. But to each his or her own. As for places to stay, I always recommend a houseboat, with the canals along the Jordaan being my favorite location. Here is a link to houseboats and apartments in Amsterdam. http://www.houseboathotel.nl/

Posted by
1986 posts

Stay in Amsterdam, so much to see there and a wide choice of hotels and restaurants. From Amsterdam we enjoyed "spur of the moment" day trips to bruges, delft and some of the old fishing villages. we also enjoyed the cheese market at Alkmaar. However, as i said, these ther generaly 'unplanned' and I would just wait until you are in Amsterdam - you might want to spend all your time there

Posted by
2746 posts

The Hague is a very easy and pleasant day-trip. if you are into him, the trip is worth it simply to go to the Escher Museum.

Posted by
837 posts

I would definitely stay in Amsterdam. One easy day trip is a circle to Delft and Den Hague and back to Amsterdam. Both are interesting, but a day is ample to see both. Haarlem is a short train trip from Amsterdam and well worth at least a few hours to a day. That leaves at least 4 days in Amsterdam.

Posted by
80 posts

Thanks so much to all of you for helping us make the decision - Amsterdam it is the whole time. It was good to hear how easy it is to make the short side trips. All of your ideas and suggestions were so helpful and Roy, we are going to look into the houseboats for sure!! Your advice has given us clarity; sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees - especially when your are in the middle of planning a long trip and making so many decisions.
Thanks for taking the time to help, Marla