Please sign in to post.

amsterdam

Hi All, I had posted a week or so ago about a last minute trip, but our plans got sidewacked. We may be able to go Sunday Nov. 10, returning Wed. Nov.20. We will be flying into and out of Amsterdam. Our interests are primarily in the museums in Amsterdam, and spending some time in Brussels and Brughe, which our son is strongly advising we visit as he loved both places. We are thinking now that Gent (sp?) may be where we should stay in Belgium. Any suggestions for an itinerary? Our return flight is around noon, so we need to stay in Amsterdam, at least the night before. I will google the museums to check hours. Does anyone have any tips for visiting them? Also, we think it best not to rent a car this trip because of parking costs and general hassle, but not sure.
Thanks all so much!

Posted by
2023 posts

We were in A'dam recently and got tickets online for the Rijks Museum and were glad that we did this. We went early and avoided a huge line and crowds. You can also do this for the Anne Frank house because otherwise the line will be long and time consuming. We had a great time there and enjoyed it more than our previous trip ten years ago. Brugges is very charming and we loved it but did not include it on the A'dam visit. Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
32735 posts

haven't we just seen this question in another thread?

Posted by
2081 posts

nancy, i second the Rijks Museum. Even the Van Gogh musuem since its down the street more or less. If you have kids in tow, check out the NEMO. If youre decide the NEMO is for you, the Maritime Museum is close by too. depending on where you stay a car may work out. Ive always found places to stay close to transportation to/from town and Schiphol. happy trails.

Posted by
179 posts

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Yes, Nigel, I did post it in another thread, but thought it was too confusing there. I think we might train directly to Bruges from the airport in Amsterdam, spend 4 nights, then go back to Amsterdam for the rest of the trip (5 nights). I'm hoping the museums won't be too crowded in Amsterdam since we will spend a weekend there. Does that sound good time wise? We can either train to Brussels or not. Has anybody taken a train from the Amserdam airport to Bruges?
Thank you

Posted by
32735 posts

4 nights is about right for Brugge (**didn't you say previously that you'd decided on Gent?), especially if you will be making day trips around. Perhaps a bit long if limiting yourself to only Brugge. The train trip from Schiphol to Bruges is very easy. Change Antwerpen to a train direct to Brugge.

Posted by
9110 posts

Four nights is a pretty long time if you're just going to stay parked in Bruges.

Posted by
2829 posts

Nancy, if you fancy art museums and the weather is not really rainy, I absolutely recommend a trip to the Kroller Muller Museum near Arnhem (www.kmm.nl)

Posted by
179 posts

Well, the thing is, we have two RT tickets to Amsterdam (hooray!) very cheap, and no plans yet.
So, we don't know what we are doing, but we have nine days to do it. We like wandering. The desire to see the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum museums prompted the purchase of the tickets. No interest in the red light district or partying. Any suggestions welcome. We don't want to bother with a car this trip.

Posted by
179 posts

Oh, sorry, I didn't thank all of you for being so helpful. I'm a bit scattered at the moment!

Posted by
166 posts

Hi Nancy,
The Van Gogh museum and The Anne Frank House were excellent last July. Didn't have tickets for either one, however the line moved quite quickly, and it was well worth the wait. I stayed in the Dam Square area and the location was very good and close to everything. Great Chinese restaurant called Golden Chopsticks and excellent croissant place called Renes' I believe right down the street. Also, lots of performers, musicians, mimes, jugglers etc in the square itself. Was very entertaining on a daily basis. Just strolling the neighborhoods and around the canals was very enjoyable.

Posted by
8138 posts

Nancy: I've stayed in Amsterdam a few times over the years. Our favorite B&B out by the Olympic Stadium went condo, and we stayed a couple of blocks away at another B&B. Hotels in Amsterdam are now booked solid and it's very expensive to stay in the city center. Last trip, we drove to Cologne/Bacharach, Munich, Innsbruck, Salzburg and Vienna. With $9 per gallon gasoline, we're now going by train. But if you're coming into Amsterdam for the last night, consider staying at our favorite hotel, Hotel Schiphol. It is a couple of miles from the airport on A4, and they have a shuttle to the airport. http://www.hotelschiphol.nl/en/
We couldn't believe the size of the rooms and at a low cost. To get into the city, their shuttle would take us to Schiphol where we'd catch the 12 minute ride into the main train station. As a business hotel, it's really a secret place to stay at a bargain price.

Posted by
68 posts

Nancy, Just got back two weeks ago and spent time in Bruge and Amsterdam. Had a car in Bruge and parking was tough but not impossible, Hugo at the Lady Jane Gray B&B helped us out. Would recommend the Lady Jane Gray B&B for your stay there, the Africa Room was awesome and breakfast is delivered to your room. Hugo has lived there for many years and can help you with all your tourist related questions and issues. In Amsterdam we spent 3 nights on the MS Luctor, a boat located behind the Central Station on the westerdock (?). Flip was a great host and the boat was a blast. Flip has lived on the boat for 14 years, and is also a wealth of knowledge related to Amsterdam and the surrounding areas. You can find both of them easily on line. J&D

Posted by
973 posts

Two days are enough in Brugge- had a good time on the Segway tour where we saw areas we had not covered on foot. Same with Brussels- good food,good chocolate, but 2 days were enough. We like Amsterdam and have been there many times- I'm a fan of the Hermitage Museum as well and it's worth checking their exhibition. Your hotel can get Rijksmuseum tickets or you can buy online- highly recommended. Hold on to your ticket too, as you cross over into different areas you may need to show it again. We had to leave and have lunch and then re-enter to see everything. This summer the Van Gogh museum sold out of tickets, but in November I wouldn't think you;d have that problem. If you like antiquities, the Allard Pierson is a nice little museum near the Hermitage.
Have stayed at the Hestia, Ibis, Doubletree, Movenpick, and much prefer the Hestia, not fancy but nice staff and good quiet location behind the Marriott across from Leidesplein, walking distance to the Rijksmuseum, Paradiso, and tram stops. I wouldnt stay at the airport near Amsterdam with a midmorning departure. It is easy to stay in Amsterdam and have a nice neal, then take a taxi to Schipol, or stay in a hotel by Centraal Station and catch the train out to Schipol- very very easy.

Posted by
973 posts

Rembrandt's house is also worth a look- well done as a house museum, and as central Amsterdam is so small you can combine it with a trip to the Hermitage, the Allard Pierson, then a canal cruise when your feet hurt from standing and walking. If you want to stay near the Rijksmuseum, the Hilton is quiet, nice, and where John and Yoko had their honeymoon ( the bed- in peace protest).

Posted by
179 posts

Thank You, We have reservations for the first four nights in Amsterdam; then three nights in Bruges; then two in Harlem. I have not made much of an itinerary beyond that as it took a day and a half just to get the reservations. I think we might take side trips from Bruges and Haarlem. We will take the train between cities, leaving one place late afternoon so as to get in part of a day sightseeing. I thought it might be easier to get to the airport from Haarlem, but now I see we will have to take a bus. Has anyone done that? Is traffic a problem? Our flight is around 1300.
Thanks, again.

Posted by
516 posts

Oh beautiful Brugge at night is so awesome when the day trippers go. I couldn't miss Antwerp either. Great train service in Belgium. Parking can be a problem. Google Brugge Night and take a look at the photos.