Please sign in to post.

Alsace Lorraine

Planning a trip to Alsace Lorraine next summer or fall. Definitely going to Colmar, Mulhouse, Nancy.. Is it worth staying in Geneva for a night and is lake annecy a worthwhile trip first? Any other suggestions for the area? Have heard mixed reviews of Strausburg.

Posted by
2374 posts

We really enjoyed Strasburg, loved the cathedral and the canal. Also the American Cemetary in St. Avold which I seem to remember is maybe midway between Strasburg and Nancy, I think it is the largest or one of the largest ones in Europe. We loved this area of France. Enjoy.

Posted by
802 posts

If you are into cars at all, the auto museum in Mulhouse is a great place to see when you are there ... great collection uniquely presented. If you are traveling by car, the old part of Colmar is nice but the two really nice villages to see are Kayserburg which is Albert Schweitzer's birth place and Requewihr. Both are relatively near Colmar. If we had it to do over we would have stayed in one of the villages, probably Kayserburg. and day tripped into Colmar.

Posted by
6 posts

Annecy is absolutely beautiful, kind of a neat mix of French, Swiss, and Italian influences. I say go for it.

Posted by
2916 posts

I hated Geneva, loved Strasbourg, and adored Annecy, where we stayed on several trips. If you go to Annecy, feel free to check out my travel blog. Since this site frowns on links to one's own blog, I'll send it if you contact me.

Posted by
1986 posts

The EcoMuseum at Engersheim was interesting when we visited it a couple of years ago. Have read that there have been changes very recently, so not sure what you will find now. Definitely visit some of the wine villages

Posted by
7044 posts

Agree that Annecy is lovely and definitely worthwhile. I stayed in Colmar and took a day-trip by train to Strasbourg, was able to see everything I wanted to in Strasbourg in 1/2 day. I enjoyed both Colmar and Strasbourg but of the three, would absolutely go back to Annecy, just loved it. I was there two days and one day I took the boat that stopped at all the villages around the lake, it was a wonderful trip and the lake is just beautiful. Annecy is one of the most photogenic cities I have visited. Also, if you're there on market day, they have a great market.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for everyone's advice. I think we will start out by going to lake annecy for 2 nights first, get a car and drive to Colmar area and do the villages and Colmar and Strasbourg and then go to Nancy for a few nights before going to Paris for a week. Appreciate any advice on 4 star places to stay in each area. For those who haven't been to Lyon and Beaune area we loved them both and we are not heavily into wine!