Please sign in to post.

Alpine holiday summer 2011: Mürren or Gimmelwald for home base?

Next summer we are planning our first excursion into the Swiss Alps. Gimmelwald looks enticing but we are not sure if Murren would be a better home base for 3- 4 nights. Some of the reviews on the places to stay in Gimmelwald sound like they have great atmosphere but may not be best for comfortable sleeping. My husband has back problems so we need to keep that in mind when planning accomodations. Anyone with fairly recent visits to the area have an opinion?

Posted by
162 posts

Murren has my vote. There are more places to stay, more restaurants, a small grocery store, a few shops etc but still a charming village feel. Gimmelwald seemed more like a gathering of home and not so much a town. Very pretty setting, but too small for me.

Posted by
9423 posts

I vote for Murren as well, for all the reasons Janet mentioned... Gimmelwald is very close to Murren, you can easily walk there... it's a paved, downhill path from Murren... You can walk back or take a cable tram (or whatever it's called)... so even if you don't stay in Gimmelwald, you won't miss out... We love Murren and being at that atltitude, surrounded by the Alps is a thrill.

Posted by
7209 posts

Definitely go for Muerren. The walk from Muerren to Gimmelwald is one of our favorite treks. Then take the gondola back up to Muerren from Gimmelwald. A Swiss Pass will get all the way up as high as Muerren for free. From there on up to the Schilthorn you will get a 50% discount.

Posted by
340 posts

Thank you for all of your responses! I think you have all been quite persuasive about Murren and we did a little more research online and agree that it would be the best choice. Any favorite hotels, B&Bs or restaurants there?

Posted by
9423 posts

We've stayed at Hotel Eiger twice and like it a lot.

Posted by
2135 posts

Lise - the Hotel Jungfrau in Murren is very nice - super views, helpful staff, good restaurant.

Posted by
16338 posts

We have stayed at Chalet Fontana, in the apartment, all 4 times we have gone to Muerren, so I guess that makes it my favorite. But I do miss having a balcony with a view, and a hotel will give you that. There are a number of nice ones in Muerren. In addition to the ones mentioned above, look at Hotel Bellevue; friends of ours stayed there and loved it. . . As for restaurants, there aren't many stand-alone restaurants; most are in hotels. But there is Stager Stubli for traditional Swiss food and atmosphere, and an Asian restaurant which is charmless but offers decent food if you are craving a change from Swiss cuisine. Our favorite place for a nice dinner is Hotel Bellevue; they have a nice dining room and a cozy Stubli. Also look into half-board at your hotel, as that is usually a good buy and the food is generally very good.

Posted by
3551 posts

We stayed in Murren and it was perfect as a base. you can walk thru enjoy and have a meal in Gimmelwald.

Posted by
7209 posts

Beware of the Stager Stubli and their Dynamic Currency Conversion. I've been to Mürren several times and have eaten at the Stager Stubli and really liked their food. This past June we again ate at the Stager, but this time they automatically converted my bill to US Dollars without informing or asking me. The fine print on the credit card receipt was so tiny I didn't even notice it until we got back to the hotel. We dined there again on another day and the waitress "informed" the table next to ours about the automatic currency conversion and asked their preference. So I guess sometimes they tell you and sometimes they don't. It's usually better to just pay in the local currency and let your credit card give you the best conversion rate as opposed to allowing a merchant to decide their own conversion rate.

Posted by
340 posts

Thank you all for your input! We are getting excited about our excursion into new territory next summer, even though it is so many months away.