Please sign in to post.

germany itinerary

I had originally planned to go to Italy in late March early April but the person I was travelling with backed out so I had to change my plans. I am headed to Germany and Austria from March 26 to April 5. There were many places I wanted to go but due to time had to cut down a few places. Baden-Baden, Vienna, etc. How does this sound?

Fly into Frankfurt, train to Rothenburg. Stay 2 nights.

Stop in Nuremburg on the way to Munich to visit the Nazi Documentation Center.

Train to Munich. Stay 4 nights. Day trips to castles, and Dachau.

Train to Salzburg. Stay 3 nights.

I will return to Frankfurt for the flight home on April 5. My flight isnt until 6 that evening so I will have plenty of time. Also, flying in and out of Frankfurt was less than flying open jaw, even with the return train ride.

Posted by
479 posts

Kyle, sounds like a great trip. Too bad flying open jawed was so much more expensive. My advice would be to maximize your time by doing, say, Nuremburg on your way to Munich and Rothenburg on your way back to Frankfurt. That would lessen the feelings of the non-open-jawed trip.

Posted by
12040 posts

I would only add to make sure you alot enough time for Nuremburg. The Documentation Center sits in an outlying suburb, away from the old Imperial center of the city. You'll need to take a bus from the city's main rail station. I guarantee, once you step off the train and see the Kaiserberg rising above the medieval walls, the city will entice you enough that you will probably want to explore more than the Nazi-era sites. If you don't want to spend the night in Nuremberg, at least give yourself the better part of a day.

Posted by
9099 posts

I loved Nuremberg as well; the old city center is beautiful. The Nazi Documentation Center although outside the old city is still in the city proper and only a few minutes away from the main train station via tram. The city tourist office's walking tour is a must.