Please sign in to post.

Romantic Road vs. Black Forest

I have a question regarding where to spend our time in Germany. Our family will be vacationing in Europe this Summer. We have roughly 3 or four days to spend between the Romantic Road or Black Forest, my husband said that we have to choose because the two run somewhat parallel and 3 hours apart from one another, and with two little boys, he didn't want them stuck in a car driving everywhere. My question is....How do you choose? I hear great things about both but don't have any real hardcore specifics to know which would be the better of the two. I always here "Oh, the romantic road because it's so cute with all the towns"...that's pretty broad. If we were to go to the Black Forest, what's there to do besides hiking? If we were to try the romantic road with 3 to 4 days, will we get through it all, is there maybe some real major "must see" towns or things to do. I just don't want to drive down a road through town after town not knowing where to stop if any. I'm in a pickle. Please help :o) Tiffany

Posted by
8950 posts

The Romantic Road is not romantic. It is just a route that connects certain towns. Pick out which towns you want to see in both areas to make your decision. The Black Forest has the same amount of cute towns as the Romantic Road does, though the Half-Timbered Route has even more. With your 2 boys, perhaps consider the Castle Route or the Fairy Tale route so that they will have more fun. My personal recommendation would be to travel along the Rhine and visit many of the castles there. Exploring castle ruins can be fun for kids, going to a falcon show, putting on a knights helmet, riding a ship on the river, or even riding a train for the day. There are also lots of festivals in Germany in the summer time and if you go to one of the Medieval fests, your kids will have a blast. http://gogermany.about.com/od/sightsandattractions/a/faiyrtaleroad.htm http://www.germany.travel/en/leisure-and-recreation/scenic-routes/castle-road.html

Posted by
12040 posts

Ditto what Jo said on the Romantic Road, it's only one of about a 100 Ferienstraßen (tourist theme roads) that criss-cross Germany, and if you ask me, it's far from the most interesting. Except for the very southern terminus, the scenery along the drive itself is nothing remarkable. It could be any country road in Germany. The towns highlighted along the route are very attractive, but well-preserved attractive towns aren't exactly rare in any region of Germany. I also think the Black Forest receives more attention than it's worth, but for a different reason. Similar forested low mountain ranges run throughout southern and central Germany. The Black Forest happens to be one of the more extensive ranges, and the southern portion rises higher than any other mountain range in Germany outside the Alps. But for the amount of time it takes to reach the south region (it's somewhat isolated from the rest of the country), you could be in the more impressive Alps. I'm not saying don't go to either. What are you doing on the rest of your trip? One might fit well in your overall itinerary. But if you have to travel far out of your way to visit either the Romantic Road or Black Forest... you've probably passed plenty of good alternatives along the way.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you so much for the replies!
We will be in Orscholz for a few days then headed to Munich.

Posted by
813 posts

Another fun option is after looking around Orscholz, head south 2 hrs to Strasbourg, spend the night there or in a cute Alsatian wine route town (like Riquewihr, then head to the German side. There's a fun theme park called Europa Park. Take the kids there for the day. There's hotels right by the park. Then you can go to Munich by way of Karlsruhe, then east, just watch for traffic, it can be awful.

Posted by
591 posts

From Orscholz to Munich the Black Forest is more out of the way than the Romantik Road, so here's another suggestion: head east on the A8 to the A6 and continue east to the A7 and go south. En route you'll be very close to Heidelberg which is worth a look.
Going south on the A7 you can cut over to Dinkelsbuhl which is one of the best medieval towns on the Romantik road. From there continue south to Nordlingen, another well preserved medieval town which is still surrounded by walls (which the boys can walk on). From Nordlingen the R.R. goes south to Neuschwanstein Castle (Schwangau) which is a great place for kids to visit. Heading to Munich you could go via Oberammergau and Garmisch-Partenkirchen (get a better view of the Bavarian Alps). There's a luge run near the Zugspitze which the kids would enjoy.

Posted by
12040 posts

You didn't mention how old the boys are, but here's some "boy" friendly activities between Orscholz and Munich. There's Legoland near Ulm, the automobile museums in Stuttgart (can't remember if it's run by Mercedes or Porsche), the Odenwald Modelbahn (indoor model train layout)... and probably more stuff, but I have to go right now.

Posted by
7337 posts

It's certainly not a reason to detour, but there's a mosaic of the Madison, WI capitol on the street in Freiburg because its one of their four "sister cities". And the waterways in the street would please the boys. Would the family like the Vitra Design Museum in Weil am Rhein? There's also a nice little Roman site just over the border in Switzerland, Augusta Raurica. Then you could see Stain am Rhein and the Rheinfall, on the way to Lake Konstanz and then to Munich. But you should judge carefully just how many medieval towns the boys can enjoy in three days! I think it's important to get the kids a giant cablecar ride, for example in Garmisch or Innsbruck. I'm sure there are many others. I don't think you're going near Koblenz, where there's a great fortress at the end of the cablecar, and the scenic Deutches Eck at the base station. But that's a "short" ride compared with the mountains noted just above.