Please sign in to post.

Shorts in Europe

Is it kosher to wear shorts in Europe? I read some where that men in Europe don't wear shorts? Either way I'm wearing cargo pant shorts, regardless of the locals.

Posted by
8938 posts

Well, Europe is a continent and all of the countries have different cultures. Where are you going? What do you think the "locals" will do if they see you with shorts on? You can wear what ever you want, but if you want to see what others are wearing in the countries or cities you are visiting, take a look at some web cams to see if you are going to feel out of place or not.

Posted by
375 posts

It has been my observation that it depends a great deal on where you are. Not only does it depend on the country, but you are more likely to see shorts in casual areas, such as the coast or in country parks, than in city museums, churches, nice restaurants, and the like. However, I'm confused about why you ask the question at all, since you state, "...I'm wearing cargo pant shorts, regardless...".

Posted by
4535 posts

Right, why ask if you're just going to do whatever you want??? The answer is it depends on where you are, when and the overall weather. But Europeans do sometimes wear shorts, just nowehere near the intensity we do in the US. But their climate is different too. And while I would never suggest shorts at a nice restaurant or church, it doesn't matter walking around tourist sites. And everyone will know you're a tourist so the shorts won't be the only giveaway.

Posted by
12040 posts

Shorts or no shorts is one of the most heavily debated topics on this forum. "I read some where that men in Europe don't wear shorts?" Did you read that from the proprietor of this website? Well, he says a lot that "ain't necessarily so." On the question of "if men in Europe wear shorts", I can only speak for the countries I know best (Germany, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland), but a better way to phrase the question would be "Do men in (above countries) wear shorts in their leisure time when the temperature gets too warm?" The answer is a big YES, although not to the extent as in the US. Bottom line, if you're on vacation, wear what you want and find appropriate.

Posted by
11507 posts

Shorts are ok most places, and I have seen tons of them, and my mate wore them all through France and Spain. Only exception is if you are going to visit churches in Italy they are strict about no knees showing( or bare shoulders either).

Posted by
691 posts

Jay just came back from our trip to Spain and Portugal, lots of men wearing shorts, lot of Europeans men.
Wear what you want!

Posted by
403 posts

One word: man-pri's. Capri pants for men. Every other gent in Europe seems to be wearing them this summer. My hubby says NO WAY :), but maybe this solution could be the best of both worlds! The man version is often done in a cargo style... (Like everyone else has said, folks in Europe dress very similar to those in the US for the most part. Wear what makes you happy. Some prefer to dress "up" a bit, some opt for pure comfort, it's all fine.)

Posted by
11507 posts

I actaully like manpris,, sorry, but some men really need to cover those knees, lol

Posted by
10176 posts

Yes, they wear shorts. It's in the 90s and 100s in France right now.

Posted by
224 posts

I agree that it is a myth that men in Europe never wear shorts. When I went to Vienna and Rome last June, I could not tell the slightest difference in what people were wearing compared to my own town in Cajun Country.
But that was in the month of June. There IS a noticeable more conservative dress in Europe during winter time.

Posted by
3049 posts

It's a myth that European men don't wear shorts, but it IS true that most of them are less likely to wear shorts in situations where American men would. And when they do, it's not likely to be cargo-style shorts unless they're under 30. That said, when it's freaking hot, almost everyone wears shorts. But unlike Americans who will break them out when it's 70 degrees or above, I rarely see "Euros" wear them unless it's above 85, and even then, there's some some crazy people in long pants. Manpris are a thing. But not something I suggest American men adopt to blend in. Horrible trend.

Posted by
893 posts

From my casual observation (which includes vacationing "en club 100% Francophone") is that French people under age 25 won't hesitate to wear shorts when the weather is warm. French men on vacation wear shorts. French women on active vacations (hiking the Alps) wear shorts. French women on a sightseeing tour may wear shorts, but most likely skirts or sundresses. But for regular wear, French men wear manpris (hugely in fashion this year) or pants and women wear skirts or dresses or capris.

Posted by
12172 posts

No manpris without a matching manpurse. :-) The only place you can't wear shorts is some Cathedrals. To date, I've only seen a dress code enforced in Spain and Italy. No problem wearing shorts when hiking, at a park, or at the beach. I wouldn't wear shorts to a nice restaurant outside a seaside resort and I'd probably shy away from them in business districts unless it's blazing hot. Really, regardless of when and where you wear them, no one is going to curse at you for wearing shorts. Laugh at you behind your back? Maybe. It depends what color socks you're wearing with them. ;-)

Posted by
2768 posts

I think the "no shorts" idea mainly comes from the bigger cities. Locals and European tourists wear shorts very infrequently in places like Paris or Rome or London, at least in the city centers at museums, restaurants, churches, monuments, etc. Outside the cities, it seems to be a bit more relaxed, but shorts are still uncommon. Just my observations, but I tend to people watch and enjoy seeing regional variations in clothing choices, so I'm confident that the frequency of shorts is lower in Europe than in the US. Wear what you like, but be aware that in some places a man in shorts will stand out. I personally prefer to dress neutrally and not stand out (although I don't fool myself into thinking I look like a Parisian or anything), but no one is going to arrest shorts-clad tourists :) If you're visiting churches in Italy, I'd see if shorts are allowed (on women they are not). Ditto for nice restaurants.

Posted by
19092 posts

A decade ago, I didn't wear shorts in Germany. Then one day in September it was very hot and men were wearing them. One of the stores in town sold them so I bought a pair. I've worn them since then on hot days. I just looked through my pictures from the last 12 years and I see lots of men wearing short, cargo pants, even jeans. Some are wearing shorts with black socks, some with white socks, some with sandals, some with tennis shoes.

Posted by
32704 posts

Plenty shorts in England, France (Alsace), Germany (Baden Wurtemburg) and Switzerland (Baselland). Many many in Bruges. That's pretty much local residents. Personal observance. I'm sure they will all be back in the drawers after the temperature breaks. When we had dinner at our Michelin Bib hotel restaurant in Gengenbach in the Black Forest virtually all the customers and some of the staff were in (nice) shorts, including us.