Please sign in to post.

Paris to Normandy

My family of six adults (3 couples) will be staying in an apartment in the 1st arrondisement in Paris for a week in October. We'd like to take a day trip to Normandy. There are a number of tours available from Paris, take the train and be met by tour, or take train and rent car for the day. Does anyone have recommendation for best/most efficient way to make this day trip? Is it even possible to rent a car for just one day? Any advice is appreciated!

Posted by
157 posts

This would be a very long day and there is very little you could really do in one day this way. The travel time to and from Paris takes up a lot of time. I would encourage you to rent a car and stay overnight at least one night to really fully appreciate the Landing Beaches and the other WWII sites. The beaches themsleves are quite spread out and can take a lot of time to fully see and tour. You are going at a great time to see things though - few crowds and nice weather. I did the beach tour in the fall and really enjoyed it

Posted by
7209 posts

If you cut your stip to Normandy to just a few hours you will greatly regret it! We trained from Paris to Caen and picked up our rental car. We allowed only a few hours because our next destination for the night was a little B&B near Germany! Talk about a hugely tiring day...and we only spent a very few precious hours on the actual beaches, cemetaries and the war museum in Caen...don't do it my way!

Posted by
564 posts

Hi Barbara:

What do you want to do in Normandy? DDay? Countryside & small towns?

If you're early risers consider taking early train Paris to Bayeaux(laugh it off with croissants and coffee) while reading your guidebook.
In Bayeaux you can opt for a half day or full DDay tour from one of the local operators; or prearrange tour before you arrive. Buy water and snacks at station or night before in Paris.
After your tour have a nice meal in Bayeaux and walk
it off strolling about and take the late train back to Paris.

If you do a half day tour, Bayeaux is a lovely town to enjoy. See the Tapestry, visit the Cathedral, sip some Calvados at a cafe, etc.

If you want to see the countryside, train to Caen, Bayeux, Rouen, pick up car here; & off you go to visit the Calvados region, cheese shops, and take in a town or two. I feel it's more efficent to get out of Paris and then get your car.

Di