Please sign in to post.

Help please

okay, I'm planning my first trip to Germany and here's what I'm planning I have to end in Munich on 9/22(Octoberfest). Any help on if this makes sense / too aggressive / what the heck are you thinking would be greatly appreciated. 9/15 Berlin - stay 2 nights 3 days (do all the sites per Ricks' book) 9/17 - Train to Cologne stay 1 night *** this is where I need help**9/18 - train to Koblenz - take KD Rhine Cruise to Bacharach, get off at St Goar tour the Rheinstein Castle get back on to Bacharach tour Marksburg castle. Do I stay in Bacharach? or continue to by train to Rothenberg ob der Tauber and stay 2 nights? 9/20 - Rothenberg ob der Tauber tour per Rick's book. Take a bus to Munich? Or Train?
Thanks for your time and help.

Posted by
8951 posts

For Berlin, the most efficient way to see this large city is to go on one of the many walking tours on offer. Most cost only 12 euro, and you get a great orientation to the city, a live guide to answer all of your questions, and lots of history to match the buildings you are walking past. From Koblenz, take the train to Braubach if you want to tour the Marksburg. From here, you coulld take a ferry across the Rhine. I think you have some of your castles mixed up. St. Goar has Burg Rhinefels. Rheinstein Castle is closer to Bingen. Marksburg is in Braubach, and this is on the Right side of the Rhein, while the others are on the Left side. I would spend an extra day in Berlin, or spend a night along the Rhine, before spending 2 nights in Rothenburg, especially since you are doing a whirlwind tour through Germany. Any town will do nicely, just pick from Ober-Wesel, Bacharach, St. Goarshausen, Lorch, Ruedesheim, or St. Goar. From Braubach you could also take the train on down to Ruedesheim and then take the boat North, as then you are going with the current. Get off at Ober-Wesel or St. Goar and stay there overnight. The next day, head down to Munich by train.

Posted by
4 posts

OMG!!! thank you, thank you, thank you. so did I get it right now? here's what I'm planning I have to end in Munich on 9/22(Octoberfest). Any help on if this makes sense / too aggressive / what the heck are you thinking would be greatly appreciated. 9/15- 9/17 Berlin - stay 2 nights 3 days (do all the sites per Ricks' book) 9/17 - 9/18 Train to Cologne stay 1 night 9/18 -9/20 train to Koblenz / Bacharach stay in Bacharach - Tour the castles per Rich's book 9/20 - 9/21 Train to Rothenberg ob der Tauber tour per Rick's book. Is there a tour bus from Rothenber to the Romantic Road ending in Munich?
End in Munich Thanks for your time and help.

Posted by
8951 posts

I almost choked on my coffee. Berlin isn't interesting and you can see everything there in 2 days? Seriously? It is one of the most interesting cities in Europe. I feel sorry for anyone who runs out of things to see there so easily.

Posted by
10249 posts

If you don't have a reservation in a tent at Oktoberfest, you can still get in. We went mid-week around 2:00 p.m. We were able to sit at a table that had a reservation for later. We were there several hours before we had to vacate the table.

Posted by
9363 posts

I agree with Jo! Berlin is one of my favorite cities in the world! Your original plan of three days sounds fine to me.

Posted by
32219 posts

Michelle, I assume you already have your flights booked (inbound Berlin, outbound Munich), so that part of your trip is "set in stone"? Have you also booked Hotels in each of the places you'll be staying? I'd suggest continuing with your stay in Berlin for 2 nights, although that's not really enough time. It's a vibrant and changing city, and there's LOTS of history and lots to see. However, keep in mind that you'll be jet-lagged for the first few days so you won't be up to full "touring speed". You may not be able to get to "all the sites per Rick's book". I would highly recommend the Original Berlin Walks tours. They offer a number of different Itineraries, depending on your interests. Tours depart each day from the plaza outside the McDonalds across from Bahnhof Zoo. I'd suggest skipping the one night in Colgogne. IMO, it's not worth the effort for one night. Have you booked lodgings in Bacharach yet? I really like staying in Bacharach. As I recall, there's a great Irish Pub on the main street through town (nothing like a pint of Guinness in Germany). There is a Romantic Road Bus, however the company changed hands a few years ago and it doesn't seem to be as "highly recommended" as it was in the past. I believe there's information in the Guidebook, although I haven't checked recently. I'd suggest taking the train to Munich. Rothenburg ODT is on a "spur line", so you'll have to travel from there to Steinach, and then change trains. It's an easy trip. Happy travels!

Posted by
4 posts

thank you all for you feedback and opinions, I've incorporate all; hopefully this makes sense. here's what I'm planning I have to end in Munich on 9/22(Octoberfest). 9/15- 9/17 Berlin - stay 2 nights 3 days (do all the sites per Ricks' book) 9/17 - Train from Berlin to Cologne to Koblenz to Bacharach stay in Bacharach - Travel day (see sights) arrive at 15:30(3:30) 9/17 - 9/19 - Stay in Bacharach tour castles and the Rhine river
9/19 - 9/21 Train to Rothenberg ob der Tauber tour per Rick's book. Is there a tour bus from Rothenber to the Romantic Road ending in Munich? End in Munich Cheers,

Posted by
403 posts

We were just in Berlin and I agree that 3 days seems like a good amount of time for your first time there. I can highly recommend Fat Bike Tours (in RS book.) The city is totally flat, absolutely no hills, so the riding is very easy. The guides are young, energetic and all speak English. We covered both the east and west sides of the city in a fantastic overview. It's a great way to start, learn what's there, and then you can go back and tour the museums or churches you want to go inside.

Posted by
14565 posts

Michelle, A pity you can't spare more time time for Berlin, but then there is the next trip for that. If one were going to Germany for the first time, one would need to book a week in Berlin, exactly for that reason. The "gypsies around the Brandenburg Gate"....must have missed that this last time there. I always see them floating in and around Paris Nord.

Posted by
4 posts

Yes, I would love to have more time to visit but have to get back to work... Thanks for the fat bike tour suggestion, I would love to do that as my form of exercising. Thank you everyone, you kindness is greatly appreciated. Cheers,
Michelle

Posted by
3049 posts

Ralph, your advice is so consistently at odds with what I've experienced that I sometimes wonder if we live in alternate universes. Anyway, Berlin is FANTASTIC and I highly recommend adding another night there, and only stay 1 night in Rothenburg. Rothenburg is tiny. You can see everything in a few hours, and if you stay overnight you get to do the night watchman's tour that everyone loves so much. Jo's advice is dead on. If you don't spend the extra night in Berlin, do it on the Rhine as opposed to Rothenburg.

Posted by
3049 posts

To be fair, just about every major city in Germany is more interesting from a tourist perspective than Stuggi, unless you're into cars. I generally only suggest people stop here to go to one of the car museums, or one of the big fests if they happen to be in the area at the right time.