Please sign in to post.

Public Transportation in Munich

I will be in Munich for 4 days at the end of July, and I was wondering, for using public transportation, what the options are regarding a travel card, such as the Oyster card in England. Any information appreciated.

Posted by
19232 posts

Expanding a little on what James said, here is the S-/U-Bahn map of Munich. The white area is the inner zone. Almost everything tourists want to see is in the inner zone. You can buy a day ticket (Tageskarte) for the inner zone for a single person or a Partner ticket for up to five people. You can also buy day tickets for three consecutive days. If you want to go to Dachau, it's in the second zone. The day ticket for it is the Muenchen XXL ticket. There are also day tickets for the entire network including the airport (Gesamtnetz). The S-Bahn runs through all zones, so be careful not to ride outside the zone(s) you paid for. All the stops are shown on the map. Only one U-Bahn line (U6) goes outside the inner zone. The trams all stay inside the inner zone. Some buses go to other zones. Tell the driver where you are going and he sell you the correct ticket.

Posted by
79 posts

Hi - we just got back from Munich last month. The day travel card is the best. You can buy them at any of the U or S Bahn stations. We used to buy a group ticket in the morning and use it for the day. The ticket is valid till 6 am on the next day. There are individual as well as group tickets available. I hope this helps. There is also a 3 day ticket option.