Please sign in to post.

Language schools in France?

My daughter has taken 6 years of French language in high school and college. She wants to learn French "conversationally" by living there for a few months and going to language school.

Suggestions anyone?
Thanks,
Sam

Posted by
267 posts

Studying the French language in France has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Not only does it provide the chance to practice grammar on the street, it gives the student an opportunity to learn about a foreign culture - and live within it. But enough preaching - let's move on to some suggestions!

I completed an intensive summer course at the IEFEE in Aix-en-Provence through AbroadCo. Highly recommended. Plenty of companies send students to this school - it's just a matter of choosing which program works best for your daughter. I would suggest researching study abroad companies online as well as her college's study abroad office to narrow her choices. Then, make a list of all the qualities of each program and do a side-by-side comparison. She'll also have to decide what she wants to study, where she wants to study it, and how long she wants to stay in France. cont'd

Posted by
267 posts

An un-recommendation: Don't choose Center for Study Abroad (CSA). Students with this program had a really rough time settling in - they were practically abadoned by the company.

Posted by
506 posts

Alliance Francaise is the premier approved school by the French government. She may find this good for classes. They also have a program where you can hav a dorm type situation. They have programs oriented towards immersion.
http://www.alliancefr.org/

I would however like to recommend an additional option - Parler Parlor. This is a group that meets three times a week - the time is split speaking 45 minutes in French and then 45 in English.

www.parlerparlor.com