Please sign in to post.

Brussels or Brugge?

Hello All-
I'm planning my 2008 European Vacation. 4 days in Amsterdam, 4 days in Belgium, and ending with 4 days in Paris. Does anyone have any personal recommendations or preferences on whether to stay in Brussels or Brugge? It's important for us to have a home base in the same spot for each of the 4 days. We would be taking the train to each of these destinations. Any assistance or other helpful travel trips are greatly appreciated. Best regards,
Karen

Posted by
12040 posts

Brugge, easily! Although Brussels has all the excitement of a large city and I wouldn't tell anyone not to visit there, Brugge is just so much prettier. You could spend days wandering Brugge's maze of medieval streets.

Posted by
3551 posts

Brugge is the best and perfect in all respects. I spent 4 days there and did not want to leave. Walk everywhere enjoy historic archit , great food, chocolate.. . It is wonderful. Brussels has the one thing the grand plaza and mannequin pe, it pales to Brugge!

Posted by
2023 posts

Bruges is one of our favorite places in Europe. It is beautiful, very walkable, great food, friendly people, and lodging is affordable. We hope to return soon. There are great choices of hotels and B&B's and some provide bikes for guests.

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks so much, everyone! Brugges it is. Will report back more at a later date.

Karen

Posted by
3250 posts

Here's another vote for Bruges to validate your decision! We stayed at the Hotel Patritius recommended in Rick's book--it was lovely on a quiet street and an easy walk to the main area (www.hotelpatritius.be/en/pres.html). We loved the Dumon chocolates and didn't bring home nearly enough!

Posted by
3 posts

Given the choice of the two it's Brugge. Brugge is safer and quite beautiful. I'm not sure that you would fill 4 days there, but it's a good base to explore from. You can reach Ghent and Oostende (sp?) and several other nice towns in a short train ridge from Brugges. Brussels has some great sites, the Rubens room at the main museum is fabulous, but it's a hard city to get to know, but worth it if you have the time.