Please sign in to post.

Berner-Oberland

We had planned to drive to the Berner-Oberland area and stay in Murren or some nearby locale around May 8-12th. I am concerned that the hiking, biking and hotel rooms may be limited this early in the season. Any inputs? Thanks............Dave

Posted by
9099 posts

You shouldn't have any problems finding hotel rooms that time of year. But hiking in elevations above Murren could be a problem as the winter snows are just beginning to melt. In addition restaurants and grocery stores in Murren and other mountain towns may be closed or on a very limited schedule off-season. If think this could limit you, you may want to stay in Interlaken.

Posted by
12040 posts

In late April of last year (when I was there), Murren was nearly deserted. At Murren's elevation, most of the snow had melted, and the hiking trails were muddy. Hiking is possible, but conditions are not ideal.

Posted by
7209 posts

We've been to Muerren in late May and stayed at the Chalet Fontana. There were some remnants of snow, but not much. The area was absolutely stunning! We've been here several times and I think in May would is exceptionally beautiful because lots of snow still remains on the Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau which are located just across the Lauterbrunnen Valley from Muerren. The Coop grocery store was located just across from The Chalet Fontana, and I believe the only time it was closed when I needed to go was on a Sunday...when most everything closes down ANYWAY even in the summer.

You can reach Denise Fussell at the Chalet Fontana at chaletfontana@muerren.ch and ask her questions about the area. She is an extremely friendly British lady who gave us much information about what to do and see in the area.

Muerren is much less touristy than Wengen and ESPECIALLY Grindelwald. The sleepy little village of Gimmelwald also sits just below Muerren and is a worthwhile destination.