Please sign in to post.

Wine country in France

Hi, I will be staying in Paris for 6 days. Can anyone suggest a short train wine to a nice winery?

Posted by
893 posts

The first place that came to my mind is to take a train to Reims and visit some of the champagne houses. You can find wineries in almost all regions of France (grapes wont' grow in Normandy, so you'll find Calvados there instead). But most wineries aren't located in major cities, and are out in the countryside. You often need a car to visit them. They may have a cave and tasting located in a city, though. A good example of that is the city of Chablis. You can walk around and do tastings of lots of wines produced in the area, but you won't find any of the actual wineries unless you get in a car and drive around.

Posted by
2916 posts

As Dina says, most wineries in France are in the countryside and accessible only by car. I agree that Reims might be the only realistic option from Paris. The big Champagne houses there are very very touristy, but at least you'll get to see what Champagne cellars are like, and try some Champagne. You can get to parts of the Loire from Paris by a relatively short train trip, but again, the wineries are pretty much all in the countryside. The best you'd find in the cities would be tasting rooms, if that.