Please sign in to post.

Travel to Luxembourg

My daughter is spending time in Luxembourg as a study abroad student. I will be visiting her, but I know that Luxembourg is a very small country. I have not been to Europe before and would love some ideas of what I should definetely check out and other places I should travel, places that are not too far away, ie, I am going to Amsterdam for a few days, maybe a long weekend if my daughter can work it in her work schedule. My plan is to be there for two weeks from end of June to middle of July. thanks Dee Dee

Posted by
1976 posts

The Mosel Valley is a great idea. Trier deserves a visit in addition to the Valley. Paris isn't far either - you could easily spend a few days there.

Posted by
4684 posts

The Mosel valley just over the border in Germany between Trier and Koblenz is very attractive. Also consider Strasbourg or Nancy in France.

Posted by
1064 posts

For day trips, I would recommend that you choose from among the following, based on your interests: Vianden and the entire NE quadrant of the country. The Mosel, at least as far as Bernkastel. Trier as a separate day trip, so you have more time on the Mosel. North and northwest of the city, the Ardennes, to include Bastogne. To the southwest, Verdun and Rheims. To the west, the historic French castle at Sedan. To the south and southeast, Metz and Nancy. For an overnight stay, to the west, Brugge, Belgium. A car would aid some of the travels, but several places, such as Trier, are easy to reach by train. Check your private message folder for a link to photos of some of these from my recent trips.

Posted by
2 posts

I just want to thank those who have replied so quickly to my post. I am taking all these ideas (and any more to come and planning an itinerary. Dolores

Posted by
32847 posts

For such a small place Luxembourg really packs it in. In his first set of videos RS did a bit on Luxembourg and included it in the Belgium book with Amsterdam. I've never understood why he dropped it. The city is neat, the countryside varied and super cool, and there is so much history from centuries ago all the way up to the 20th century. Other than the bit around the autoroute towards Thionville and Yutz there's not much second rate. The surrounding German and Belgian areas are pretty good and I'm looking forward to seeing good bits of Metz, too.