Please sign in to post.

Barcelona to Provence

We (two couples) are flying into Barcelona next September and will after 5 days be renting a house for a week in the Provence region of France. Would like suggestions on accomodations for 2 nights in Barcelona, dining recommendations also welcomed, and then should we take a train to Avignon (close to home we are renting) or rent a car and stay a night or two on the road to the area.

Posted by
8700 posts

I haven't traveled in that area so I can't give you any personal recommendations on places to stay.

When deciding between train or rental car, be aware that there is a sizeable fee for picking up a car in one country and dropping it off in another. See www.autoeurope.com.

Posted by
10344 posts

In making the rental car versus train decision, the very high price of gas in Europe is something to consider if you are going to put a lot of miles on the car. I have not priced European gas in a few months but am making a rough guess that prices there may now have reached $8.00 per gallon, when you convert from liters to gallons and from euros to dollars. A fill up can be $100 for a car with a small tank.

Posted by
4132 posts

We very much enjoyed a day and a night in Collioure, a pretty French Catalan port town just north of Spain.

However, if your stay in Spain includes small-town Mediterranean life near Barcelona, this may be redundant. (Very different than Provence, however.)

Collioure is on the rail line so no car is needed--it would be your choice.

Posted by
1178 posts

Barcelona - Hotel Catedral, in sight of the Catederal. New hotel, centrally located to the sights of the Baric Gothic, Catederal, Las Rambalas, etc. Check on parking, however, I know there is some there, but I was on a tour in a bus....

I would recommend train to Avignon. Gas is expensive, and it is a fairly long drive, but good roads. Be sure to see Vaison La Romain when in Avignon (a few miles north) and the town market on each Tuesday...one of the largest in Europe. I enjoyed the Roman ruins there as well. Would rent a car in Avignon for use there.

If driving from Barcelona, a fabulous place to stop en route to Avignon (for a night or two even) would be at the Castel De Emporda, in Las Bispal, Spain...the # 2 destination of its type in Spain.

Posted by
811 posts

hotel is pretty easy to find in barcelona if you walk along the ramblus. definitely rent a car in provence, bus service is not reliable and train only stops at the big towns.