Please sign in to post.

Munich to Prague

Hi- I'm travelling from Munich to Prague in early May. One-way, 2 adult travellers. We are debating between bus and train, leaning towards train travel. Any insight or websites to help? Also I've noticed on the Bahn website that there are 2 train stops in Prague. We're staying near Old Town Square. Thanks!

Posted by
425 posts

I have train tickets from Munich to Prague for early May as well. The only way to get there that I found, was to train to Nuremburg and taking an express bus the rest of the way to Prague.

Posted by
19093 posts

Here is the German Rail (Bahn) website. You have three choices for Munich to Prague. There is a bus that leaves the Munich Hbf about every three hours, four times a day. It takes 5 hours to Prague. This is a modern over-the-road intercity coach run by the Bahn. It has a bathroom, snackbar, and attendant. Second class full fare is €61/p, but with advance purchase, non-refundable fares start as low as €29/p and increase as the lowest fares sell out. There is a similar bus from Nürnberg to Prague. With the train (ICE) to Nürnberg, it also takes about 5 hours. Full fare (2. cl) including the train is €95/p. The Bahn sells an advance purchase ticket starting at €29/p for the Munich to Nürnberg to Prague connection. Lastly, you can take one of 3 daily regional train connections via Schwandorf, Fürth im Wald, and Pilsen. These connections take an hour longer (6 hr), but you can use a Bayern-Böhmen-Ticket (€24 single, €34 up to five people) to Pilsen and a Czech rail ticket (about €6/p) from Pilsen to Prague. The B-B-Ticket is always available, up to train time, from an automat in the Munich station, for the same price. No advance purchase is necessary. The bus comes into Praha hl.n. There are two main stations coming into Prague by rail from Munich. The first one is Praha Smichov. It's on the river south of the old town. Praha hl.n. (the main station) is short distance east of the new town, probably the best for you.