Please sign in to post.

The Streets of Paris are Lined with Gold....Rings that is.....

Just a quick heads up to those of you heading off to Paris. The latest scam starts off with a man or woman walking towards you. They will dip down about 10 yards in front of you and come up with a large gold ring and start to ask you if you lost it. A friend who was with us on a wine tour mentioned getting hit up with it in Paris and we got hit twice in the FIRST TEN MINUTES when we were walking down the Seine. If you are carrying a camera, stopping to take pictures every step, and carrying a guide book then DUH... you look like a tourist and you will get hit up by this group. We walked down both sides of Seine and one side was ripe with these con artists and the other side we didn't see even one. We just told them to get lost and they did. A couple of suggestions, carry a walking stick or umbrella, keep your camera under your coat, carry the guide book in a paper bag or in a pocket and have someone watch your back when you are taking pictures. The other scam was to have a poor, sad eyed woman walk through the crowds, picking out Americans and asking "does anyone speak English?". They hold up a post card asking for help and probably have an assistant to watch where your money is stashed. Ignore them or tell them to get lost and they will. We saw hordes of them at the Effiel Tower.

I would love to hear how the gold ring thing works, but we never gave them the chance to play it out.

Other than that, we had no problems. The money belt thing is convenient if one of you can get to it between layers.

Posted by
6 posts

My tactic for dealing with these people is to look them straight in the eye and say "Spreche nicht englisch" and keep walking. Works great for the time share hucksters in Vegas as well!!

Posted by
9432 posts

We've run into both of these scams every trip every year since '03, I love Randy's solution! My teenage son and I just start talking jibberish to each other in a very animated way and they can't figure out what language we're speaking so they walk away while my son and I are laughing our heads off. We make it fun!

Posted by
875 posts

We, too, enountered both of these scams in May -- the gold ring scam with the same woman 3 times in one day! If you accept the ring, the scammer then tries to get you to make a donation for money to "feed her kids". We alerted several other tourists that this woman was trying to scam.
The "do you speak English" scam is easy -- just say no and tell them to get lost.
The other scam-type operation we noticed was in the Metro halls -- a woman would be sitting cross-legged with a sign asking for money to feed her kids.