Please sign in to post.

Train from Switzerland to Italy?

My husband and I will be traveling to Switzerland and Italy for the first time this July! We don't have our exact cities we will be visiting, but I'm interested in finding out some transportation methods to get from Switzerland to Italy... I've hear the train is very reasonable. Does anyone have experience doing this and willing to share??
Any feedback is appreciated:)

Posted by
17244 posts

The train is a great way to go, but which train depends on where you will be in Switzerland. There are direct trains to Milan from Zurich and Luzern. If you are headed to the Berner Oberland before Italy, however, you probably want to head to Spiez and take the train that runs to Milan via Brig. Or if you are going to the Engadine area, you can take the Bernina Express route from Pontresina to Tirano, and change there to a train to Varenna on Lake Como. The same train continues on to Milan if you don't plan to spend time in Varenna ( but it is really nice there). If you are taking the train from Zurich or Luzern, you can save around 50 CHF per ticket by buying them in advance on the Swiss rail website, www.rail.ch. You can see all the routes and schedules there too ( except for trains to Varenna, use the Italian site Trenitalia.com for that).

Posted by
32325 posts

Layla, Travel by train is usually the fastest and most efficient way to get around in Europe (especially with fast trains such as the TGV in France which travels at 300 kmH!). It would be easier to offer more specific suggestions if you could provide further information on where you'll be going in both Switzerland and Italy. If this is your first time travelling by train in Europe, it would be a good idea to read the "Rail Skills" chapter in Europe Through The Back Door. There are some "pitfalls" to be aware of, especially in Italy. Happy travels!

Posted by
33513 posts

Does anyone have experience doing this and willing to share?? It is pretty much like getting on a train in California, I would guess. The fact that it is between countries is no more difficult than riding a train from Oakland to Reno. When it stops you open the door if it is not already open. Put your (hopefully small) luggage up into the vestibule and step up yourself. Step away from the door. Find a seat and hopefully keep an eye on where you left your (hopefully small) luggage. Watch and listen for your stop. Be ready to get off when the train stops. Open the door when the train stops after positioning your (hopefully small) luggage near the door and step off. Reach back up and get your (hopefully small) luggage and step away from the train. Be careful of any trains on nearby platforms. Easy.