Please sign in to post.

International Driver's License

Is it necessary to have an international driver's license to drive in Spain and Portugal? If so, AAA is the best route to take, right? Also, it looks like it's best to drop off our car in Spain and pick up another car when we arrive in Portugal as there are expensive fees to drop off in a different country than where the car is picked up. Right? AND, can someone advise best way to get to Tavira from Seville? Train? Bus? Thank you.

Posted by
802 posts

It doesn't matter if it is mandatory, get the damned IDP and hope you will never need it unless you are fluent enough in Spanish and Portuguese to explain a Washington Driver license to a pissed off motorist or cop. Yes, AAA is where you get them. As for the rental costs the best thing to do would be to go to a reliable source like AutoEurope and check it both ways.

Posted by
4535 posts

I forget if the IDP is required, but agree with the previous response: get it. The IDP is not a license per se, it mearly translates your own state license and validates that it is a legally valid license. So you must carry both and if there is any confusion about your license (renewal stickers, restrictions, etc), the IDP will answer that. I've needed one just at the car rental because the agent couldn't figure out my renewal sticker on the back. Most people have reported that the foreign drop off fees are significant and that you can save considerable money by renting a car in each country. I don't believe there is a train from Sevilla-Tavira so you'll need to take the bus. It should be 2-3 hour ride. PS - I have friends that live on Camano Island :-)

Posted by
2876 posts

Don't get confused between an international drivers license - sold by many websites and completely useless - and an international driving permit. The permit is what you need, and you have to go to AAA to get it.

Posted by
719 posts

I agree, get the permit. AAA is the place. My last one (2011) was about $15. Usually it's best not to cross international lines with a car, so dump it in a city, take a train to Portugal, then get another car. Of course, you should price it out both ways, as has been suggested. You never know...