Please sign in to post.

Travel in Europe

Wanting to travel between Paris, Vienna and Athens. Thoughts? Will be traveling with children ages 6and 10. Train vs air flight? If train, overnight routes?

Posted by
4684 posts

Do you already have experience with overnight travel? Some people simply cannot sleep in a moving vehicle, and children especially may be extra hassle. You definitely need to fly to Athens, as all international rail services into Greece are currently suspended as a government cost-saving measure.

Posted by
984 posts

' Thoughts?' There is no train journey Paris to Vienna less than 11 hours and some minutes. Any journey by train from Vienna to Athens, and I can be corrected, would be convoluted and I suspect approaching 24 hours. Have you ever taken an overnight train? Overnight travel, even by a dedicated train with a bed chamber without changes of train is rarely comfortable, not romantic and is likely to leave you feeling like c...p the following day. Plus what will you do deposited in a strange city at an early hour. I certainly would not be doing this with children, unless for some reasoning you want them hardened to travelling.