Please sign in to post.

Chip and Pin Cards?

We plan to visit France this spring. Will our regular Capital One MasterCard and Capital One debit card work there, or do we need to get chip and pin cards? Thank you.

Posted by
9363 posts

Yes, your regular cards will work fine, except perhaps in unmanned gas stations and ticket kiosks.

Posted by
23315 posts

And, except under a couple of limited situations, you can not get a chip and pin here in the US. Your US card is fine for most merchants and hotels.

Posted by
32219 posts

Ray, Your older magnetic stripe Cards should work fine in ATM's and for transactions at staffed sale points (ie: Hotels, Restaurants, etc.). The Debit Card may not work for POS transactions, but should work fine for ATM withdrawals. Note that your travel funds must usually be in a chequing account with a four-number PIN. I'd suggest carrying a "backup" ATM card, in case there are any problems with the primary card (I've had that happen). You likely won't be able to use the magnetic stripe cards at automated ticket Kiosks, Fuel Pumps, etc. For example, the ticket Kiosks at CDG airport will ONLY accept "Chip & PIN" credit cards (and Euro coins as I recall). Happy travels!

Posted by
44 posts

Ray, Our Cap 1 Visa worked fine at most places, including the "fast lane" of toll booths. Most merchants, restaurants, and hotels took it. Didn't work at pay-at-the-pump gas stations but then we just took it inside to the clerk to run. For ATMs, I opened a Bank of America debit card account before leaving the US, because Banc Paribis in France is a "sister" bank, and doesn't charge ATM fees using a B of A debit card. Just go online and find the locations throughout France.

Posted by
719 posts

You'll be fine in most cases. Where I ran into trouble was self serve ticket kiosks buying train tickets. When one doesn't work, move on down the next one and so on, and you'll usually find one that will accept your card. I believe that Chase offers a chip and pin card, but it carries some pricey fees.