Please sign in to post.

Paris in Winter

Have you traveled to Paris in the Winter monthsfrom December through February? Is it easier to see the sights during this time?

Posted by
11507 posts

dana,, I haven't gone during those months, but yes, it would be less crowded. It also means its dark early, I like by 4:30,, and not light out till past 8 am,, and it will be cool, and likely rainy,, so that is why its not going to quite as crowded as april-october. Its a trade off many people don't mind. I personally don't find it difficult to see the sights at any time,, there are ways to skip lines,, but admittedly not crowds,, but hey, as I said, being able to sit in the light at a cafe till 10 pm is a trade off I make for the crowds. Jan and Feb are not busy, but should add, Christmas does have a busy period( not like summer of course, but hotel prices definately go up to high season levels and occupancies go down) so early December is going to less crowded and busy then mid December thru NYE. I have however heard some neat stuff about winter travel,, like they sell hot mulled wine from street carts and hot roasted chestnuts,, that sounds yum!

Posted by
635 posts

I was there in early December 2011. There were no significant crowds that really got in our way. The only place that I noticed a lot of people was in the room with the Mona Lisa. I walked in and wondered where did all these people come from? On a cloudy but pleasant weekday, my wife and I walked right up to the ticket booth at the Eiffel Tower and took the next elevator up. There was a significant line to get to the very top. Versailles at 9 am was almost deserted. By 2 pm there was a good number of people but nothing I'd call a crowd. It's a great time to go to see the sights. Yes, it's cold. It's probably not the best time to do a river cruise on the Seine but you won't be fighting for a seat either. I wasn't impressed by either the hot chestnuts or the mulled wine we got at a Christmas market but we had to try them.

Posted by
65 posts

I found Paris in February very romantic. Less crowds and we even had snow. More reasons to sit and enjoy a coffee, glass of wine or spend the day inside at the museums.

Posted by
3696 posts

I was there the very end of Nov. and first of Dec. and it was great. Unusually warm and no crowds to speak of. I have been there in the spring & summer before and it is like a totally different place. I prefer the winter. I don't mind it getting darker earlier as I like seeing the lights of the city. Just wear the right clothes and prepare for it to be cold and you should be fine. Temps there this week are high of about 50...not too bad.
As for the roasted chestnuts...yuk! The idea of it was great, but they tasted like dry potatoes (but not as good)

Posted by
10215 posts

I've been there many times in winter. The crowds don't start up until the European spring break. You don't get the sun setting at 10:30 pm, giving you a double day of sightseeing, but you get Paris life in full force: art exhibits, theater, concerts, latest restaurants...

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks everyone for these nice and informative replies. As for the hot mulled wine and roasted chestnuts . . . well . . . we'll see. My plan was to avoid the 'spring break' rush, though I'd imagine that can be an exciting time. I think that I'd feel better with temps ranging from mid-40s to 50s and a heavier jacket or coat. I would think that some hotels would drop their prices, too; but, maybe that's wishful thinking.

Posted by
265 posts

We went there in early Feb. and we loved it. Sure it was cold, but when you live in S. FL it gives you a chance to put on you winter gear. The fountains weren't on in the Palace of Versalles, but we practically had the palace to ourselves. No crowds in front of the Mona Lisa or anywhere in the Louvre. We didn't have daylight all day and night, but paris is so beautiful at night. The monuments are all lit up and the light show from the Eiffel Tower is, well you'll see... You can't really sit outside at a Bistro (unless they have outdoor heaters), but they are full of locals inside and even outside in the daytime trying to get a few rays of sunshine. Walk anywhere, go into anywhere, eat anywhere with no waiting. You get the idea (no pesky tourists). After that experience we only travel to The EU in the winter or cool months. Get your Paris Pass and have the time of your life.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks,
I'm looking forward to the trip--I'm thinking of leaving the latter part of February and stay until the early part of March.