Please sign in to post.

place to stay in salzburg

I am looking for a good place to stay for 3-4 days in salzburg. I am planning a trip for HS age girl scouts. There will be 9 of us. I am trying to plan a variety of unique experiences for the girls. So far we are staying at a chalet in Switzerland, casa die tintori B&B in Florence, Jesuit monastery in Venice. Most of these places are recommendations from you guys that look perfect for our needs. any not to miss places to see, do or eat are welcome also. dates will be June 16-18 or 19. thanks

Posted by
33123 posts

In don't think I can help with Salzburg, Felicia. We usually stay out on Moosstrasse at Bloberghof. If it were in the middle I would suggest there in a New York minute, but (I don't remember if you are driving that segment) if you are on the bus, putting 9 on and off the bus into Salzburg each time might be tough. Their brekkie and dinner are wonderful. There may be a hostel in the middle that would suit better. Good luck...

Posted by
516 posts

Weisstaube. Nice family run hotel in a great location. Incredible service, clean, and not expenisve. Great breakfast too.

Posted by
203 posts

Thanks for the private message and posted suggestions so far. I will check them out.

Posted by
203 posts

thank you. weisse tuabe looks like a possibility. I have sent them an email requesting info and availabiltiy. The location looks great the TA reviews indicate maybe it is a bit old and not in great repair. However, the location seems ideal. The place Nigel mentioned looks quaint, quiet and beautiful views. However, it seems to be a 20 min bus ride from town. At this point I am evaluating whether the quiet countryside or convenient old town is best for our group on the backside of our trip. We will have stayed in a chalet in the swiss alps, B&B 15 min walk from the sites in Florence, monastery in Venice I believe is near the main square. I am still very open to any ideas even if you don't have experience traveling with teens or small groups.
thanks

Posted by
19148 posts

If you are willing to take a 20 min bus ride to the Altstadt, you can save some money by staying across the river in Freilassing, Germany, at Hotel Rupertus (€55 for a DZ). I stayed there in 2009 and, despite the appearance from outside, my room was clean and comfortable. The "hotel" is more of a restaurant with some rooms, so I don't know if they can accommodate a group, but email them. The owner, Herr Chuboda, speaks English.

Posted by
12172 posts

For a group of girls, I think Institute San Sebastian would be great. It's similar to a hostel but actually a women's college dorm (they rent some beds to travelers), rather than a party place. It's very clean, quiet, cheap and right in the heart of downtown. It's well run by friendly staff. Easy walking distance to all the sights. Everyone sleeps in single beds with big comforters (some rooms are bunkbeds others aren't), and has a locker for their use (bring gym locks). Some rooms have committed bathrooms while others have to use the bathrooms down the hall. I've stayed there as a single (in a six-bed dorm room with other travelers) and with my family (in two three-bed rooms).

Posted by
2460 posts

We stayed a farm in Anthering outside Salzburg. If you don't have a bus, then this is a good location because it is on the light rail system. If you have a bus, then it is also ok since it is only a few miles outside of town and a main road goes through town. The farm might be able to handle all nine, but if not, there is another farm across the street that has rooms. I think the girls would have a great time. In the Salzburg area, be sure to visit the salt mines at Hallein. I also love the ice caves at Werfen. These are unique experiences that will be everlasting memories. If you have a bus, then you might see if the girls are interested in the 'Sound of Music' movie. There are places on the internet that list the movie locations and that would make a nice half day tour. I think the organized tour would be too expensive - about $50. www.neuwirtgut.at

Posted by
203 posts

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am checking into all of them. We are very interested in the sound of music. I am also going to check on a bicycle tour of sound of music sites. We are traveling by train and local transportation.

Posted by
35 posts

Hi I was in Salzburg last year in November and I LOVED it! I have also traveled to Germany during the summer in the past also. Such a beautiful part of the world. Not very unique but, I stayed at a great hotel that is very affordable called the Hotel Lasserhof. The desk clerks were really helpful. They helped me with an array of tasks. They helped me book some tours and I needed to print a ticket and they let me use the printer for that. The included breakfast was very good and the location is very close to Mirabella. Which I think is considered the center. But for a unique place to stay you might want to try the Villa Trapp B&B which is supposed to be the former home of the Von Trapp Family. When I was in Salzburg I did the hop on hop off because I felt it would be a warm way to see the sights and it was. I am not sure I would do it in the summer because I think you could get to the same sights by walking. I did the Sound of Music tour with Viator and it was very good. I would recommend it. Just let them know how many tickets you need and when you do ask them what kind of discount you get for having the number of people you have going. You should get a free ticket out of it. The tour actually covers a lot of Salzburg and goes further into Austria and visits the Church that the wedding was filmed at. That too was beautiful. I liked the Sound of Music but its been a long time since I saw it so I wasn't overly excited about going on the tour. However, this tour helps you remember the things you liked about the movie and if you are a big fan (there was a family that seemed to know the film by heart) this is a must do tour. Oh and there is (they claim) the oldest bakery in Europe that gives out free samples of bread. It's on the old side of town and the bread IS very good. Hope you have a fantastic time! Andrea