Please sign in to post.

Salzburg at Christmas?

My family and I are going to be spending Christmas in Salzburg this year. We are wanting to have dinner in a cozy, traditional place on Christmas eve and Christmas day. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Posted by
144 posts

There is a hotel with a very fine dining restaurant called the Goldener Hirsch, right in the old town section in the center of Salzburg. They serve traditional Austrian dishes. It is very pleasant to go for a stroll along the Getreidegasse, enjoy the sights and sounds of the season, and stop in there for a meal. However, I don't know if it will be open on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day ..... but you could email and inquire. If this is your choice, you MUST make reservations early, or you won't get a table.

Posted by
25 posts

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into this restaurant. Amy

Posted by
813 posts

A great little restaurant with super traditional-local type food, reasonably priced is Golden Ente. http://www.ente.at/
You absolutely should find someplace now....don't wait.

Posted by
837 posts

I second the Golden Ente recommendation. We were in Saltzburg a couple of years ago and at the recommendation of the Weise Taube, ate dinner there after our evening arrival. It was so good that we returned our second evening.

Posted by
115 posts

the Golden Ente was great. Stayed there and ate there 2 years ago and would go in a minute! Love that city and the hotel and their staff were wonderful.....my only regret is that their signature dessert was gone when we ate there. TThey made you feel very much at home and were helpful and fun!

Posted by
143 posts

Will the person who asked me about how long the Xmas market lasts in Salzburg please send me another email? I can't find your address or any of our correspondence. I'm waiting to hear from my friend who lives over there but need your email address again to reply to you. You sent me a message privately. Thanks. Julia