Please sign in to post.

Croatia

Does anyone have any input traveling in Croatia? Is the American dollar stronger there than the dollar against the Euro? The whole country looks interesting. What would be the best places to see? Has anyone slept in guest houses? I shall have a week there, a week in Austria (which I know nothing about) and maybe a week in Italy. I am in the planning stages and doing my homework but need help in picking out specific places. If it is not too expensive, I would like to rent a car but if not then trains and busses will be the next mode of transportation.
Thank you, in advance

Posted by
3250 posts

Hi Virginia,
Check Rick's "Graffiti Wall" as there is a lot of great information posted about travel to Croatia and Slovenia (Ljubljana was one or our favorite cities.) We were there two years ago in October and had a great time. We flew Croatian Airline from Zagreb to Dubrovnik (3 nights)--a beautiful city and absolutely worth seeing. We stayed in a Private Room (Sobe) in a great location right outside the Pile Gate. Rick has some good recommendations. From there we took a bus to the island Korcula (2 nights)--we were there in the off-season so it was a little "sleepy." You have to be careful about scheduling as the Jadrolinija Ferry leaving Korcula doesn't depart everyday--check the schedule online. We took the ferry to Split (2 nights ) Our last night we stayed in Trojear to be near the airport and loved it. You'll enjoy wonderful seafood and pastas in Croatia!

Posted by
126 posts

We traveled to Croatia in May of 2006, encouraged by RS travel show. We rode the overnight ferry from Ancona, Italy and woke-up in Split, Croatia. We picked up a rental car and drove to Dubrovnik. It is a beautiful drive, to say the least. If you do this, besure to stop in the town of Makarska on the way. It has a lovely seaside promenade, for a great lunch stop. You will drive briefly through Bosnia/Herzogovina, no problem, and then on to Dubrovnik. We stayed at Villa Ragusa, within the city walls, and requested top floor room, for great views over bar tile roofs to the sea. The room was very clean, and Peter, was very helpful. Reserve early, $72/night. We then drove to Korcula, and stayed at a modest, but clean home with a great view of the old town and water, called Villa Depolo ($44/night). Her sister-in-law has a small shop in town that sells very good and interesting cookies. We then drove to the incredible Plitvika Natl Park, not to be missed, on our way to Zagreb.