Please sign in to post.

Salzburg Austria

My husband and I are spending 3-4 days in the Salzburg area around the 20th of May. What are some "must sees" and is a "Sound of Music" tour worth it?

Posted by
90 posts

Yes a "Sound of Music" tour is worth it. Try to do one that has a small van - don't know whether there is still a "Bob's Sound of Music" tour but that was a good one. Be sure to go up to the castle on the hill overlooking old Salzburg. Oh yes, you must go to Augustiner Braustubl for beer and prezels, or other food. Enjoy!

Posted by
19238 posts

If you can find the DVD of SOM with the commentary by Robt. Wise, get it. He goes into detail about the filming of the movie and where the venues were. Except for general scenes of Salzburg that you can see without the tour, almost everything (the interior shots of the Abbey and the house, the cemetery scene, and the singing and dancing in the Gazebo) were shot in Hollywood on sound stages. The lakeside patio scenes were not shot at Leopoldskron. He wanted to use Leopoldskron for the Von Trapp home, but it was being used as a school, and the school didn't want the distruption. The back of the house for the lakeside scenes was shot in one direction at the Frohnburg, which isn't on a lake, and, in the other direction, at a temporary set, which was a copy of the patio at Leopoldskron. So if you like riding around in a bus singing "Do, a deer" with other Americans, go right ahead. I enjoyed seeing the wedding church at Mondsee, but it might not be worth the time to get to (I was on my way to Hallstatt when I saw it). I'd spend a day seeing the free sights in Salzburg and the rest of the time in Berchtesgaden.

Posted by
818 posts

We will be in Salzberg one night and want to stay right in old town. Any reasonable hotels with triples that anyone can recommend? I can guarantee you if I drag my husband and 12 year old on a van tour where people sing do-a-deer that this will be the last vacation I am allowed to plan.

Posted by
198 posts

Sheri; We've stayed at the Hotel Sallerhof 3 times and loved it. It's located just outside of Salzburg in a small town called Grodig. Here is the Trip Advisor link for it:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1096522-d261869-Reviews-Hotel_Sallerhof-Grodig_Austrian_Alps.html The town is a short ride by bus into Salzburg but the best part is the chocolate factory! We were disapointed to find out that they didn't offer tours, but they have a factory store. There you can purchase all sort of sweets at very good prices! The town smells like chocolate too! Since you have a 12 year old son, I'd recommend the salt mine tour. The Hotel will assist you with any tours you'd like.

Posted by
837 posts

The Weise Taube is right in the old section, about a 1/2 block from the square. Not sure whether they have triples or not. Go to their website. To see extensive reviews and photos, go to tripadvisor.com

Posted by
166 posts

A second vote for Hotel Weisse Taube in the Old Town. It is a RS property and we enjoyed it a couple years ago. Also, you may want to take the train out to Hallstatt which is a beautiful lake village.

Posted by
818 posts

Thanks. Any.opinion on whether we should spend one night in Salzberg and two in Munich or vice versa?

Posted by
818 posts

Thanks. Any.opinion on whether we should spend one night in Salzberg and two in Munich or vice versa?

Posted by
57 posts

There were myself and wife, my mother in law and my 2 teenagers(1 boy and 1 girl). We all enjoyed the SOM tour. The teenage boy probably the least. We went in a small van with BOBs tour. Even without the SOM references the views of the countryside and lakes were worth it. We also enjoyed the Ice caves of Werfen. Alot of walking but a very unique experience. There are 700 steps inside but it also a long hike up the hill to get there. Eagles Nest was also a must see not just for the historical part but also the view. Have a great trip.

Posted by
3 posts

We were there for a couple of days in late September, and we did the Bob's Sound of Music tour. It's schmalz, but it's fun and a good way to see some countryside without a rental car. We also took the postbus out to Hallein for the salt mine tour. Really fun...and historical in a schmalzy way.

Posted by
837 posts

Salzburg is very small and the town itself can be seen easily in one day. Munich has much more to see. Two days is not enough, but it is twice as good as one day!!

Posted by
12313 posts

That should be a great time of year to visit. I haven't done any Sound of Music stuff. Those who are into the movie seem to enjoy it. I like wandering the gardens, old center, churches, graveyard and castle; having dinner and a beer at the Augustiner brewery, viewing the city at night from one of the walking bridges on the Salz, and listening to classical music performed by very skilled local musicians.