Please sign in to post.

Madrid?

We were wondering if it's worth going to Madrid. We have decided that we want to visit Barcelona for sure, but don't know really what there is to see/ do in Madrid, any ideas?

Posted by
4555 posts

Frankly, I like Madrid better than Barcelona. To start, you've got the heart of Spain, the Puerta del Sol (unfortunately under reconstruction right now) and all of the stores, shops, and cafes between there and Gran Via. Nearby, there's the Plaza Mayor, the heart of old Madrid...the site of demonstrations, artists, and cafes. There are three great museums...the Prado, the Reina Sofia, and the Thyssen-Bornemisza, all close to each other. For nightlife, there's the Plaza Santa Ana district and Plaza de Santa Bárbara (also nice during the day) among others. There's the royal palace, Retiro Park...the list goes on and on. Check out Rick's (and other's) guidebooks....you won't regret spending time in Madrid.

Posted by
6 posts

We visited Madrid last spring (and will return again this summer). I love it. It is a very "low-rise" capital city and a great introduction to Spain in general. The museums are supurb, the subways clean and easy to use and the streets are great fun to walk on. The paseo, or evening walks, draws thousands of residents to the sidewalks each evening. Folks wander around, chat with friends, stop for tapas and drinks. If you are traveling to Spain, I think Madrid is a must-see.

Posted by
27 posts

I completely agree with the other two posters. We went to Madrid last summer and loved it. The museums are amazing, nightlife is fun, shopping is great... Definitely check out Rick's Spain guidebook for more info and ideas.