Please sign in to post.

Cremains

I was hoping someone out there could tell me if cremains can be scattered in Cologne or if they must be buried. If you also have any info on transporting them into Germany I'd appreciate it. Thank you!

Posted by
63 posts

Sharon Cremains are legal to take on a plane. Check the TSA web site for the accepted method to do so. And then I would guess that Cologne or any place is like the National Park Service and their attitude about the casting of ashes. They do not authorize a third party to cast them for you. However it is pretty much a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. You should probably just do it without a crowd around watching. Robert

Posted by
10239 posts

I would ask the German consulate because it isn't a "Don't ask, don't tell" in France. It's allowed.

Posted by
63 posts

Thank you. I will go ahead and check with the German consulate.

Posted by
45 posts

I can't say specifically about Germany, but I can tell you that I took my mother's ashes to France last year. You will definitely want to check with TSA, and your particular airline and German Consulate. For France, they wanted the name, address, etc of the place/cemetery they would be taken to - no "spreading of ashes" was actually allowed which is what I wanted (my mother was born there). I had to go thru some major hoops to have the ashes be allowed to go - French Consulate appt in Seattle where they put special ribbon, sealed the container with wax, had to have papers from France stamped, written in French, saying I could take them there! My airline said that would do for them, but to tell them when I boarded. Airline never checked me, could care less when I told them at security and boarding (hand carried) and in France no one even looked your way much less wanted to have you ask them anything. Disappointing after everything I did, but if I hadn't my mom might be in the garbage somewhere! Good luck.

Posted by
63 posts

I called the German Consulate in San Francisco as suggested by others, but the man at ext 331 informed me in a rude and cold manner that they have nothing to do with that. I would want to scatter my mother's cremains, and I don't think it's possible in Germany from everything I've read. I've pretty much given up on the idea although I would love to take her home. If anyone else knows anything that could help I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks to everyone!

Posted by
676 posts

Sharon, I was just told this by the people who run the kennel where I board my dogs. Last week they had to go to the ceremony of someone who had been cremated, but he said that in Germany the cremains must be buried, they can't be scattered like in the US.
I would just call your airline and make sure it's ok to transport and what kind of container they need to be in.

Posted by
63 posts

Elaine, Thank you for the information. I greatly appreciate it. Sharon