Please sign in to post.

Driving in Switzerland

We will be traveling from Zurich south towards Interlaken on towards Zermatt and northern Italy. Are there any travlers who have suggestions about this route.
Thanks!!

Posted by
12040 posts

Just this: try not to drive off the road while looking at the incredible scenery!

Posted by
69 posts

I have not travelled this route specifically, but did a day trip from Lyon, France to Geneva a couple of years ago.

You do have to be careful of the fast driving in any of the Alps as the scenery is breathtaking and you can easily get distracted in midst of 160KM/hr speeds.

Another tip...pictures of mountains never look as good as the real thing because you don't capture the scale of it all. If you're not taking a digital camera, save on the film...it will end up being a disappointment when you look at them afterwards.

Have fun on this driving trip.

Posted by
7209 posts

I would recommend taking the Swiss Trains while in Switzerland because they are amazing, and the destinations you listed are all easily accessible by train. In fact Zermatt is ONLY accessible by train.

Since you say you are going to Interlaken I assume you are going there to see the mountain villages like Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Muerren and the Jungfrau. Of these places, Lauterbrunnen is the only one accessible by car, the other places are easily accessible by trains, gondolas, cogwheels, etc. In Interlaken you will see Lake Brienz and Lake Thun both of which are beautiful and a boat ride is quite exciting. You know, a Swiss Pass covers all of these journeys including the boat rides on the lakes. If you haven't already considered trains, then I would highly recommend you evaulate it closely. Training gives everyone the chance to see the spectacular vistas in Switzerland...even the driver :-)