Please sign in to post.

Purchasing Euros

Is it better to purchase Euro in Europe or the states. We are leaving for Europe in Nov. Thanks

Posted by
8700 posts

You'll get a better rate in Europe. Use a credit card for major purchases and get cash from ATMs for everything else. There are some important things to do BEFORE leaving home to be sure your cards will work in Europe. Read this helpful article by Rick Steves: www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/moneytip.htm.

Posted by
769 posts

funny how this wuestion has been asked 5 times in the last week! Definatley use ATM at big-bank ATMs in Europe - BUT - I like to have 200$ worth of Euros on me when I arrive so i dont have to worry about cash right when i land. Best rate I found was from my BofA bank believe it or not! (beat AAA and Travelex in rate and fees!) But if you have lots of time when you arrive - you could hit an ATM in the airport/train station.

Posted by
956 posts

We purchased Czech crowns before we left, also from Bank of America, $100.00 worth. And it only cost about $7.00. We needed cash immediately when we got to Czech to pay the man who was picking us up from the train station. We took a little cash just in case we couldn't find an ATM immediately. It just gave us peace of mind. After that point, we used ATM's with our bankcard...

Posted by
360 posts

I always start a trip with between $100-$200 of the local money. It may cost a few dollars more getting it here but it's worth it & not a big deal. You're going to have enough to do once you arrive at the airport in Europe without having to stand in what might be a very long line at the ATM. If you come home planning to return soonish, bring some Euros home with you for the next time.

Posted by
43 posts

Jim,
We were quoted a pretty expensive charge from our bank to get some euros...so we just found the ATM at the Madrid airport when we landed. It wasn't a problem (late August) and we just got $200 to get us going....after that we had no trouble finding an ATM when we needed to get cash. Just be sure to call your bank ahead and let them know you'll be in Europe. We had no problems at all in 4 weeks.
Tom/Sherry
Steger, IL

Posted by
956 posts

Jim, it kind of depends on what your point of entry is to Europe. We were not flying in Czech, we flew into Frankfurt, and we immediately took the train into Prague. We were getting off at the small train station in Prague, and I didn't feel very comfortable taking money out in front of some of the people there. Train stations are one of the hot spots for pickpockets, so we didn't want to have to take out hundreds of dollars in front of potential pickpockets. If it wasn't for that situation,
I would have been fine bringing no money with me.

Posted by
705 posts

I don't know if it's the same in the US as it is here but I buy my Euros through Travelex via the net. I go onto their site and check the exchange rate and if I like it I reserve how much I want. I then go into a Travelex agency convenient to me or at the airport and pay and pick up the Euros. I have found the rate to be really competitive and I like the convenience.

Posted by
188 posts

We found buying Euros was cheaper through a currency exchange place at home--I guess they buy and sell in bulk!! We take some from home to get us started and then use ATMs, but the difference in cost was very little.

Posted by
7 posts

get your Euros at an ATM in the airport when you land
Use your bank card . My citicard is a higher rate. I also pay cash for most everything. Hotels will give you a discount with cash and rooms in private homes only take cash. My citicard charges a lot for me to charge. Just be sure and carry money inside your clothes in a money belt.