Please sign in to post.

Interlaken, Switzerland

We are planning to make Interlaken our base for visiting the Berner Oberland area of Switzerland. Any recommendations on hotels or B&B's that are reasonably priced?

Posted by
6898 posts

A suggestion that you may see often in these responses is to base your stay inside the Lauterbrunnen Valley. Most likely, that's were you will be visiting anyway. You cannot see the best part of the alps from Interlaken. Take a look at staying in Muerren, Wengen or Lauterbrunnen. It's a 22 minute local train ride from the Lauterbrunnen train station to the Interlaken Ost train station.

Posted by
32222 posts

Rob, I would also highly recommend using the Lauterbrunnen Valley as your "home base", but if you're "set" on staying in Interlaken the Switzerland Guidebook has suggestions for affordable accommodations there. Interlaken is somewhat of an "old world resort", so the prices in some of the larger Hotels reflect that theme. Happy travels!

Posted by
358 posts

I first stayed in Interlaken in 1999 for a week at a business meeting at the Beau Rivage a great hotel. Interlaken at that time was a nice small city with a lot of restaurants and a nice train station. I revisited Interlaken this past june and now the city has changed with tourists over running the place especially from China and India. They now have a lot of fast food type eating places along with a Hooters on the main road.The high rise hotel built in the early 2000's is an concrete eyesore. If you like to do action sports Interlaken is full of adventure for the brave.

Posted by
9103 posts

That high-rise hotel has been there a for a lot longer than than 2000. My first visit to Interlaken was in 1998 it was there at that time. The only real difference I've noticed over the years is the new supermarket complexes across the street from both train stations. As I've only stayed in Interlaken during the shoulder season of October, I've never found it overrun with tourists.

Posted by
166 posts

We used Interlaken as a base several years ago. We stayed at the Hotel Splendid which is located in the center of town, across the street from the park and Schuh (yum) you must sample the chocolates and pastries! The hotel had a wonderful breakfast, nice rooms, family owned and operated and they were very friendly and helpful.

Posted by
90 posts

I highly recommend Hotel Stechelberg which is at the end of the Lauterbrunnen Valley which is easily reached by train from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen and then bus directly to almost the door of Hotel Stechelberg shich has wonderful restaurant and cannot be in a more scenic spot in the world. Enjoy!

Posted by
14 posts

Okay, I think the votes have been tallied. We'll opt for Lauterbrunnen. Thank you so much for the advice. Rob

Posted by
515 posts

My parents and I just booked Hotel Jungfrau last night. It is located in Murren and has 29 rooms with a balcony with a view of the alps from your bed. We looked at is last night and are very glad we booked it.

Posted by
515 posts

Chris, we got a double room with balcony facing south. So I think that means the Eiger and Monch.

Posted by
44 posts

Stay in the valley. You will not regret it. I spent a few nights in Murren during my honeymoon. Beautiful place. Of the several places I've visited in Europe its one of the places I would put high on the list to go back to. I went in April. I would love to see it in June/July.