Please sign in to post.

Swiss Pass or Flexi Pass (or other?)

I'm confused about which travel pass will be the better way to go. I'm travelling to Switzerland from Sep. 24 to Oct. 2 with a companion. We will be staying in Lauterbrunnen for 7 days, taking the trams, trains, & gondolas all around the area for hiking and sightseeing. Which travel pass option will allow us the greatest savings? (assume 2nd Class). Thank you!

Posted by
77 posts

It partly depends on what your other plans are for Switzerland and the rest of Europe, but based solely on your plans as listed above a Swiss Card might be a good option. It gives you travel from the Swiss border (or airport) to a destination in Switzerland and from that destination back to the border or airport (and the departing airport or Swiss border city does not need to be the same as the entering one). In between, it acts as a half fare card on all trains, buses and mountain lifts. This website has LOADS of good information about travel passes in Switzerland and other countries. Only you know exactly what your hiking and sightseeing plans are so you might have to sit down and plan out your likely trips and compare costs with a Swiss Pass, a Half Fare Card, a Flexi Pass, and the Swiss Card. My mom and I used a 15-day Swiss Saver Pass for a trip that included 5 days in Wengen. We did not do a lot of intense hiking so the Swiss Pass (which covers completely up to Wengen, Murren and Grindelwald in various parts of the valley) was perfect for us. If you are planning to do more vigorous hiking up to or near the Schilthorn, Pfinstegg or First (for example) you might even consider a regional pass (BO pass or Jungfraubahn pass). Unfortunately there is no easy answer, you just need to make your best guess at your plans to see which pass comes out ahead.