Please sign in to post.

What to wear?

We're spending the last half of October in Barcelona (Spain) and area, and wondered what type of clothing to bring along. We're active boomers, and don't want to look too much like tourists (ha...altho we are).

Posted by
32171 posts

DeDe, Bring the clothes you usually travel with. Don't bother "not" trying to look like a tourist, as the locals are always able to tell and more importantly I doubt that anyone cares. At that time of year, some clothes for "layering" would probably be a good idea as the evenings might be "cool". Happy travels!

Posted by
1068 posts

I agree. Dress for comfort and for the weather. The only thing I tend to shudder when I see is the Dreaded Puffy White American Sneaker. But then, Europeans wear those hideous things, too! Oh - and Mom Jeans look touristy, too!

Posted by
4 posts

Don't worry about looking like a tourist. The locals will spot you right away, probably just by your shoes (even if they are not cowboy boots). But there are some don'ts that will make you less noticeable if you follow them. 1. Don't wear overtly logo-ed clothing. I'm not talking about a little crocodile or a tiny Nike swoosh on your polo type shirt. I mean your I Heart NY T-shirt (no offense NYC), or your favorite football team jersey. The plainer your clothes, the better. But feel free to wear color. 2. Don't carry your camera around your neck or shoulder. Not only will it peg you as a tourist, but it will peg you as a potential victim of the grab and run. Unless you are a professional photographer, hopefully your camera is palm sized. Put the strap around your wrist and just carry it in your palm, if you are in photo op situations. 3. Don't wear a fanny pack. Use a money belt as Rick suggests where you'll keep your larger denominations of money and your credit/debit card. Keep small change in an accessible pocket for tips and subway rides. If you are a woman, don't carry a huge tote bag. It's ok to carry a smaller purse (I like the kind that hang right under your armpit, a really secure location ... a "baguette"), like every other European woman. Just don't carry all your cash and credit cards in it. I use it for a map, lip gloss, purell and the absolute must, a small pack of tissues. 4. Don't talk loudly. Lower your voice. Most Europeans complain about how loud Americans are (and we are, generally). You'll notice that even when the Europeans talk on their cell phones, they speak softly. 5. Speaking of shoes, there is one casual shoe that is nearly universal in Europe. That's the Converse All Star Chuck Taylor. Luckily, they're comfortable and cheap. Bon voyage!