Please sign in to post.

young woman stay in Paris

For a 20 something traveler, any recommendation for an inexpensive, yet safe, Rick approved place of lodging? About a 4 night stay.

Posted by
2788 posts

Do you have RS Paris guide book yet? If so, good. If not, you should get it as it has lots of good information for you.

Posted by
33 posts

Hi Charlie- I do have an older book from several years ago, the last time we were in Paris. We stayed in the southern part of the city near a great metro stop. I'm not familiar with all the areas of the city though, I have a feeling some areas may be a little less secure. I thought maybe someone had some similar needs and had a good recommendation.

Posted by
524 posts

Leslie IMHO, it is worth it to purchase a new RS Paris guide (the larger one) for your trip. Many things have changed and RS always keeps up with them. As you have mentioned, sometimes neighborhoods change. Just balance $20 against the peace of mind you will feel in choosing a safe hotel with accurate info. Also knowing which (not if) museums are closed for renovation or wrapped! What are the latest restaurants and money saving ideas! Bobbie

Posted by
32206 posts

Leslie, I agree with the others that a Guidebook would be a good investment, and will help you choose a Hotel and an area that fits your criteria. You have a few options..... > Purchase the Paris (or France) 2011 Guidebooks at a local book store or via this website ($19.95). > Purchase the same Guidebook in E-book format, should you be travelling with an iPad, Kindle or other compatible Reader. The cost is only about $9.99 > Purchase the new Pocket Paris mini-Guidebook ($12.99) Regarding Hotels, you might consider staying in the Rue Cler area, which is within easy walking distance to the Eiffel Tower and other sites. You didn't specify what you consider in terms of "inexpensive" or what "comfort level" you prefer, so here are a few general suggestions: > Grand Hotel Leveque > Hotel Muguet > Hotel Duquesne Eiffel Rue Cler is convenient to the Metro (Ecole Militaire) and has lots of nice restaurants in the area. Happy Travels!

Posted by
9110 posts

I wouldn't get wrapped around the horn on Rick-approved hotels. He only favors a couple of areas. There are countless equal or better areas with equal or better hotels at equal or better prices all over town. And in regard to your other post on the same subject, there's nothing wrong with the 14th Arr. It's center is just as far from Notre Dame as is Rue Cler. It'd get my nod every time if I had to choose between the two.

Posted by
1976 posts

Hi Leslie. A girlfriend and I stayed in an Etap hotel in the 14th (I believe the address is 15-21 Boulevard Romain Rolland). Our closest Metro stop was Porte d'Orleans. Don't know if it's Rick-approved, but it was safe and relatively cheap.

Posted by
1825 posts

Not cheap but, The Marais has got to be the safest place on the planet, for a women.

Posted by
1113 posts

Hi Leslie,
I stayed at the Hotel Ibis Eiffel Cambronne. It was in the 15th arrond. but really closer to the 7th. It's about 10 yards from the Cambronne metro stop and has shops & restaurants close by. If you ask for a room with a view of the Eiffel Tower, you might get one. I did and so enjoyed my twinkling light show every evening!

Posted by
33 posts

Thank you to Bobbie, Ken, Ed, Sarah, Richard and Claudette. Your suggestions helped so much, we were able to think of lots of options. We feel really good about all the choices we have made for our "20 something" traveler! Thank you!

Posted by
28 posts

GoodMorningParis.com has very very nice lodgings (B&B in private homes, you choose the neighborhood). Hotel Renoir in Montparnasse is also great.