Please sign in to post.

Swiss Trains

We will be spending 8 days in Switzerland. We fly into Zurich and train to Pontresina. Day2 take the Bernina Express to Tirano and standard train back. Day 3 Glacier Express to Zermatt. Day 4 tour Zermatt. Day 5 standard train from Zermatt to Lausanne. Day 6 tour Lake Geneva. Day 7 standard train to Montreaux, Golden pass to Interlaken, standard train to Lauterbrunnen. Day 8 tour Lauterbrunnen. Day 9 we head to Germany. Can someone suggest what pass/ticket combo to buy? Thank you.

Posted by
5 posts

There will be 4 adults. Does the Swiss Saver Pass have to be used on consecutive days?

Posted by
77 posts

There are two types. The Swiss Pass (or Swiss Saver Pass for 2-5 people always traveling together) is for a certain number of consecutive days. The Flexi Pass (also has a Saver version) is for a certain number of free travel days within a 30-day period. In between your first and last free travel day, it also acts as a Half Fare Card. This website has a WEALTH of information about the benefits of the various rail passes available in Switzerland. Fundamentally you will have to do the math to figure out what is the best deal for you given the trips you are planning to take.

Posted by
16401 posts

I see your dilemma. The consecutive-day Swiss pass comes in an 8-day version for $362 (Saver price on this website). You have 9 days in Switzerland so this will leave either your first or last day not covered. Still, I think it is a better option than any of the Flex passes. For example, a 5-day Flex costs $337; you could use this for Days 1, 2, 3, 7, and 9, and then pay half-price for any travel (including boats and lifts) on Days 4, 5, 6, and 8. I think that may add up to more than the $25 difference between the 8-day Swiss Pass and the 5-day Flex. See if you can get a good deal on a ticket from Lauterbrunnen (or Interlaken) to your first destination in Germany on the Bahn.de website for Day 9. Then use the 8-day Swiss Saver pass for your first 8 days in Switzerland.