Please sign in to post.

train from Munich airport to Salzburg

How easy is it to get a train to Salzburg after landing in Munich?

Posted by
6684 posts

You'll catch a train into Munich and connect there for Salzburg, normally. Some departure times require more than one connection, but the ones at 7:04, 9:04, 11:04, etc. connect just once at the "München Ost" station, and you'll reach Salzburg in about 2 hrs. 40 minutes on the regional trains, which allow you to use a Bayern ticket, 29 Euros total for 2-5 people for this daypass. Just one person? The Bayern Ticket Single is 21. Prices are scheduled to go up slightly on these daypasses; buy one from a ticket machine at the MUC station.

Posted by
39 posts

I have always found raileurope.com to be a good website for researching schedules and prices. I have never actually purchased from them so I can't vouch for them in that regards. Besides, if you are taking the train after arriving by plane, I wouldn't buy the ticket until your at MUC just in case your flight is late or if it takes a while to get through Customs/Immigration.

Posted by
32228 posts

Tim, For researching rail schedules, the German Rail website is one of the best sources of information. Rail Europe is nowhere near as comprehensive. As Russ mentioned, you'll need to get to Munich Hbf via S-Bahn 1 or 8, and then use RailJet or whatever to Salzburg. I believe one of the S-Bahn routes "splits" at some point, but I can't remember the details. The trip from the airport to Salzburg will be as short as 2H:23M. Rather than Railjet, you may be on a Regional Express to Salzburg (the time is not much different). The type of train you use will depend to some extent on what time your flight arrives, and what time you get to Munich Hbf. Happy travels!

Posted by
32993 posts

I have always found raileurope.com to be a good website for researching schedules and prices Except they only show some trains, and charge a premium price.

Posted by
19119 posts

There is no danger coming from the airport of going to the wrong place due to the S-Bahn splitting. The S-1 going to the airport splits at Neufahrn, with the front cars going to Freising and the back cars to the airport. Coming from the airport, they just add cars from Freising to the train. It still goes to the Hbf and eventually to Ostbahnhof. Note: using an express train (EC, RJ) only saves about 15 min and costs a lost more, €33-€37 pP, vs €14,50 pP for two with a Bayern-Ticket. Also, unlike the RE (regional) or the EC (express), the RailJet does not stop at Ostbahnhof. You'll need to go to the Hbf (fastest with the S1) to catch the RJ. Today thru June 29, they are working on the tracks near Traunstein and busing (SEV) some regional passengers between stations. This adds about ½ hr. Express trains get to go through. During that time, you'll save about 1 hr with an express ticket.