Please sign in to post.

Car Rental fine print

Hi. My little sister is getting married in Chamonix and we are flying into Geneva. I've always traveled Europe with public transportation but due to the nature of the trip i need to rent a car. How does insurance work with a French rental? I have car insurance in the US but do i need to spring for the extra collision/ damage etc??? I found a week rate of 205 Euro with SIXT - how is this company?
thanks for any help

Posted by
1358 posts

Yes, spring for the CDW. Your US insurance won't cover rentals overseas. Check the rates to see if the quote is with "super CDW" which gives you a $0 deductible. If not, you'll get stuck with a big deductible, usually around 1200-1500 euro.

Posted by
1021 posts

The RS forums are about equally divided between those who advise to pay the rental companies' insurance rates and those who steadfastly refuse to do so. Check your credit cards to see what if any rental car insurance is provided under the terms of your cc contracts. You may find that you have a deductible that you can live with. I'm in the camp which uses American Express Premium coverage that gives first $ cover for $25 per rental up to 31 days rental period. We've used Sixt several times. It is a fine company that provides good service and has excellent vehicles.

Posted by
1878 posts

I use the AMEX premium coverage too, although I have to admit I am a little worried that if I ever have a claim something might go wrong and they might not cover. Of course, the same thing could happen with the rental company CDW, which along with the crazily high deductible is why I use AMEX. Super CDW, you don't know until you get to the rental counter what that's going to cost -- and I am not too keen on paying $90 a day total or whatever for a car. I have driven in eight or nine countries in Europe, but between this issue and the speeding cameras, I am starting to lean more toward public transit when it's feasible.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for the quick responses. I will check on our AMEX card for coverage as we are not going to be in high traffic areas and the car will probably sit at the chalet 60% of the time. If I understand correctly, I contact AMEX ahead of time and they provide CDW for the rental period for a certain $$ (billed to my c.c.) and I decline extra coverage at the Sixt rental counter?

Posted by
2914 posts

Hi Jen, Call AMEX and ask about the Premium Car Rental Protection Policy. We used this our past two trips to Germany. When you reserve/rent your car, you'll need to pay with the AMEX card. Cost is $24.99 for the ENTIRE rental period, up to 42 days. You decline any ins./CDW at the rental counter when picking up the car. We've rented a car through www.gemut.com for our last 3 trips. Can't hurt to call and get a quote. Even if you don't use them, the website has lot's of info/tips on renting and driving in Europe. Paul

Posted by
2914 posts

Hi Jen, Call AMEX and ask about the Premium Car Rental Protection Policy. We used this our past two trips to Germany. When you reserve/rent your car, you'll need to pay with the AMEX card. Cost is $24.99 for the ENTIRE rental period, up to 42 days. You decline any ins./CDW at the rental counter when picking up the car. We've rented a car through www.gemut.com for our last 3 trips. Can't hurt to call and get a quote. Even if you don't use them, the website has lot's of info/tips on renting and driving in Europe. Paul

Posted by
1021 posts

You can sign up for the premium insurance on the Amex website. Once you're signed up, coverage is automatic when you use your Amex card to reserve and pay for the vehicle. The 42 day period mentioned by Paul is correct.

Posted by
655 posts

The $24.99 (total) is also correct. Go online to sign up before your trip. After that, whenever you reserve and pay with Amex you are automatically covered and will be billed for the car rental and $24.99. each time you rent. If you have a mishap, let Amex sort it out.

Posted by
63 posts

In addition to the advice about using AMEX's premium rental car coverage, I strongly recommend that you have the rental car clerk explain their refueling policy. You should plan on refueling the car yourself at street prices and returning the car with the tank full. Just make sure that the company does not pre-charge you for the full tank of gas that you leave the airport with. That is an option that you should decline, as it will be the most expensive tank of gas you will ever buy.

Posted by
1633 posts

I always rent my car from AutoEurope. You can check their prices online. They are actually car brokers and will arrange for a car from companies such as Europcar, Avis and Hertz. Sometimes they have specials on one day and not the other. So, I check prices daily. They may also meet or beat a competitor's price so give them a call. As you said, when at the rental car agency's counter, you need to refuse their insurance if you already have arranged with American Express to use their insurance. Previous to your arrival, buy a good Michelin map of the area and familiarize yourself with their road signs. Some signs are obvious, most are not. Have fun on your trip!

Posted by
32222 posts

jen, As Maureen mentioned, your U.S. car insurance won't cover you overseas. That's also the case with my car insurance. It will cover rentals in the U.S., but NOT anywhere else in the world. On past trips, I've used both rental insurance coverage provided by "premium" credit cards as well as that offered by the car rental firms. The credit card insurance usually has lots of "Terms & Conditions" and I found it complicated to keep track of them all. The car rental insurance seems to be often provided by a third party, and not by the credit card company. These days I usually just get the "zero deductible" package offered by the rental firm. Although it's a bit "pricey", I'd rather have the peace-of-mind and not have to worry about dealing with "traffic incidents" in a foreign country. Congratulations to your little sister, and happy travels!