Please sign in to post.

dining in Paris

My husband and I often share a dinner. Is that an acceptable practice in Paris?
thanks,
Cathie

Posted by
808 posts

Sharing a plated meal (in Paris) is fine, provided you each have your own plate and utensils. Most servers won't mind you asking for a meal to be split onto two plates. However, splitting the meal up yourself, scraping it from one plate to another at the table, might be frowned upon in higher service establishments.
You could always each ask for a smaller portion, if size of the meal is an issue.

Posted by
448 posts

Scroll down to "serving size portions in restos"....9/19/07.....Already discussed.
Some chain restaurants serve smaller portions, but no "real" restaurant will split one meal on to two plates. Even if i spoke perfect French i wouldn't have the nerve to ask. In general French servings aren't huge. Just eat less lunch i guess....or order only entrées (the appetizer course) and see what happens.

Posted by
79 posts

You didn't mention why you usually share a dinner.
If it's because of portion size, as mentioned above, remember that portions are exceptionally large here in the States, where our mindset is "bigger is better" and we place value for our money on the quantity food we get. In the land of super size, portions are astronomical. Not so in France. Portions are more accurate as to what a proper meal actually is. Not meager, just normal. I think you may be surprised by how small the portions appear when they are brought out to you, but they will not fail to fill you.
If you like to share because it's cheaper, well, that's different. And probably, as mentioned, unacceptable. You'd be better off remembering that you're on vacation. A simple solution to help make your overall food costs cheaper is to only dine out occasionally. There area many cheap options (think paninis, crepes, and falafel) and picnics can be quite the romantic affair, but cheaper than a restaurant.

Posted by
22 posts

thanks all for the info. We share because as you say, the portions here in America are "really large" and we're not that crazy about heated up leftovers. This was just one of the miriad of things I wonder about before we head over to Paris (in two weeks!!), but I'll set my mind at rest.
thanks again,
Cathie

Posted by
3551 posts

It might not be in a small family owned restaurant. but you would be OK in a dept store cafe, fast food-type place. I had a bad experience sharing eventho we argred to pay xtra to share. It is not always clear in France.

Posted by
251 posts

It is often the smallest of differences that create the widest cultural gaps.

If someone was to come into a resturant and light up a cigerette. Are we to allow it just because they are from another country. What if they offered to pay extra? It isn't that big of a difference and it wasn't that long ago it was allowed here.

You won't have to worry about left overs, because there are no "doggy bags" in France. Dining traditions are different. Like most nice restaurants here, they are not there to cook for you. You are there to eat their food and apprecitate thier style, traditions, and skill.

To offer to pay for something different. Is akin to throwing around money to get what you want. If the food is too much, don't eat it all.

(BTW: Splitting meals is not that acceptable in the U.S. ask any waitress, cook, or restaurant owner what they think of people who split or share food.)