Please sign in to post.

wine suggestions?

We will be in Paris staying near the Latin Quarters and would like a suggestion for a good moderately priced red wine. My husband and I are planning to have some simple wine,cheese and bread celebrations before dinner but I am not familiar with French wines (prefer red). Any ideas for us?

Posted by
120 posts

Go to a Monoprix store (think Kmart, Target, Walmart) and look for E. Guigal Cotes du Rhone. Should be less than 10 euros. Then get some Bleu d'Auvergne, a mild and tasty blue cheese and pick out one of the many types of baguettes made in-store.

Posted by
1986 posts

Cotes Du Rhone red would be good. if you want a lighter red try Beaujolais Villages or some of the Rose's from the Provence area. Sounds like a wonderful idea

Posted by
355 posts

If you have a little time before you leave for Paris, I would suggest finding a Trader Joe's in your area and talking to the wine buyer. Try a few inexpensive French wines and see what you like... Very simpy, if you like Cabs, you'll want to try Bordeaux, if you like Pinot Noir, you would want to try Burgundy, etc. The reds are the same varietals as California varietals (which we got from them), but they are labeled by appellation in France. Monprix is a great place to shop for wine. Like any wine shop, you can spend a fortune for a bottle, or you can find something very reasonable. A Sante!

Posted by
23267 posts

The labels mentioned above are all imported which means they a large enough production to support an export business. There are literally thousands of small wineries that do not produced to go beyond the local area. That is where some of the real gems are. Go to a local wine store - not a supermarket and chat with the owner. Often they will have wines to sample. Why drink something you can buy in the US when you have so much more to chose from.

Posted by
355 posts

Sorry if I was misunderstood. I meant to suggest that you find a varietal you like, first. Then, you'll know what you want to look for when you get to Paris. There is significant differences in varietals of red. So, it's good to know what appellations/regions to try when you get there...

Posted by
121 posts

My recommendation and something I always drink when I'm in France is a Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

Posted by
524 posts

I am kind of partial to the Gigondas from the Cotes du Rhone region. A little less pricey than the Chateauneuf du Pape. Do ask the shop keeper to help you - anywhere in Paris and I would be willing to bet they speak very good English and particularly if you plan on pairing it with cheese. Let the experts guide you!

Posted by
791 posts

Chateauneuf du Pape is an excellent wine, possibly my favorite French wine. I've bought bottles from 10 euro all the way up to 25 euros and never had a bad one. It can be a bit tannic though, so let it breathe (a good rule of thumb is 10 minutes for every year of the vintage).

Posted by
96 posts

I think that you should definitely go to a small independent wine shop ( Paris abounds in them ) and ask the merchant there for a suggestion. Nearly all of the employees of wine shops speak English ( at least in my experience ). You can tell them your preferences in wine and price, and they can recommend a suitable bottle. Good wine is plentiful and cheap in France. Try to get something that is not mass-produced for the states - you will be greatly rewarded.