Please sign in to post.

passports

I've read where entry to Spain can be a hassle if your passports are due to expire in 3-6 months of your travel dates. We travel in May and my wifes passport expires in June mine in August. Anyone had any experiences with this?

Posted by
719 posts

I would expedite your Passport, ASAP. If the gov't shuts down, only expedited passports will be processed (no one knows and they'll actually pass this bill...). Besides, passports with less than 6 months on them can be major headaches regardless of your country. 2-3 turn around will get you new passports before you leave. Do it today.

Posted by
4535 posts

The reason they might give you a hassle is the passports expire before the 90 day tourist limit is up. They might worry you'll stay the allowed 90 days on an expired passport. And now it's probably too late to renew your passports (chalk that up to lesson learned). If you have no other choice, be sure to bring documentation of your itinerary and return airline tickets home. That may satisfy them and hope that it does.

Posted by
2091 posts

I would expect that you could pay for expedited delivery to get replacement passports otherwise there's also AmericanPassports.com. Note that I have never used this site but found it on the delta.com site. If it was my passport that was due to expire, I would be getting a renewal!

Posted by
9363 posts

I, too,would suggest you renew it now. Or you could wait to see if it causes a problem. I wouldn't chance it.

Posted by
7209 posts

I would not travel to ANY other country with a passport that was due to expire that soon. Spend the dollars and time HERE before you leave to get an expedited d passport. That's better than being denied entry into another country and being put on the next plane home. Need a passport in a hurry: http://travel.state.gov/passport/hurry/hurry_831.html

Posted by
805 posts

Never travel with a passport that has less than 6 months validity. You might get let in but its not worth the risk, or the expense to challenge that. I have had friends get denied the right to board their flight to Europe (since the airlines are liable in many cases if you are refused entry) because they had less than six months left.

Posted by
9100 posts

"...Never travel with a passport that has less than 6 months validity...." That's a bit extreme. Spain is now the only country in western Europe with a 6 month rule. In fact, Germany, Luxemburg, Belgium, and the UK have no rule.....your passport simply needs to be valid for the duration of your stay. All the rest have a 90 day rule.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks, All ! for your input. it has been very helpful & we'll get on with renewing our passport.