Please sign in to post.

Renting bicycles in Amsterdam

We're going to spend two days in Amsterdam and I'd like to use bicycles. Has anyone done this? Rates seem real reasonable, and the place at the centraal station seems like a good one, and there seems to be the red bicycle lanes all over the place. Share your experiences riding in Amsterdam. Thanks!

Posted by
253 posts

Well, it is easy and fun to do. Very flat city, can be easy to get lost in , but easy to find your way back. All the streets are circular and follow the canals, so eventually you find your way back. We used Mike's, which has shops scattered throughout Amsterdam, which is a good thing. Why? Because I got a flat. I took my bike to another Mike's, who patched it up and sent me back on my way. We biked down to the Heinecken Brewery, then around the canals. The city is designed to encourage bicycling and they have the right of way most of the time. The bikes we had were solid and easy to move. They come with big locks and there is bicycle parking everywhere. So go for it.

Posted by
83 posts

We rented bicycles for a week in Amsterdam on two separate visits. Good experience. Fun to pedal by Shell HQ and say to yourself, "Don't need any of their stuff today". RS guidebook has excellent info.

Posted by
3313 posts

Very easy. Take the pedestrian ferry from the central train station across the Amstel Rive and ride through Waterland.