Please sign in to post.

Luggage aboard RENFE

We're visiting Spain in May and planning to do some travel by train. The RENFE website mentions restrictions for luggage weight, dimensions, and number of pieces. Does anybody know how carefully they check for compliance, and what they do if the weight exceeds the 20Kg allowed? (There's no mention of additional charges like the airlines.) Once we get the stuff aboard, I gather that the suitcases go into a baggage storage area probably at one end of the car? Are the bags safe there? At one point we will likely take a cercania from Seville to Cadiz, which seems to be more of a commuter train. Will luggage be an issue on that train? Is there anything else that we need to know regarding luggage and the trains in Spain? Thanks in advance!

Posted by
1178 posts

I have traveled the Renfe trains from Madrid to Toeldo, Madrid to Sevilla and Madrid to Salamanca- No problem with two suitcases, computer, etc. Never weighed anywhere. Bags may be put through a scanner, and passport checked. The luggage is stored at the end of the train, next to the door. Storage on either side of the asile, two levels, the top for the smaller bags and the lower for the heavy ones. You carry the bags yourself, so take that into consideration. Have had no safety issues with the bags being at the end of the car. Note: If you purchase knives in Toledo (they are famous for their metal work), I had an issue one time as they were not in a "sealed container within the bag" -- Only one knife that trip, but the trip before with three complete sets, no issue at all! I was able to get the knife placed in a 'sealed container' and all was fine. The trains leave precisely on time, great service as well. A great way to travel.

Posted by
23268 posts

Double post. The same question with answer is running under transportation.