Please sign in to post.

Bernina Pass from Tirano

My wife ans I with another couple will be in Tuscany late September. Rather than visiting other Italian areas which we have done, we are looking into the famous scenic rail excursion connecting Tirano with the Swiss canton of Graubunden. This rail ride is so intriquing that we are possibly crafting the end of our stay with 2-3 days maybe longer in Switzerland. Once we get into Switzerland that time of year, as non skiers, does anyone have suggestions as to what we can do / see / visit once we get to the end of the rail line, St Moritz?. We might also fly back to the US from I guess Zurich. Our plans are open but need to firm up soon. Thanks

Posted by
17244 posts

I wanted to do this on our last trip to Italy, but couldn't fit it in. We have visited Switzerland several times already and the rest of the family wanted some Italy time, so I lost the vote. It should be beautiful there in late September-the Engadine area has a reputation for good fall weather. The activity at that time of year is hiking, not skiing. You can ride lifts to various points and take easy walks if you aren't dedicated hikers. If the lodging options around St. Moritz look too pricy, consider stopping in Pontresia instead. It is an easy train trip from there to Zurich if your return flight departs from there.

Posted by
33513 posts

Sankt Moritz isn't the end of the line, maybe the fancy tourist train, but the line continues through the mountains to Chur where it connects to the Glacier Express and the main SBB lines. Have you ever seen the photo of the train plunging straight into a hole in the cliff. That's further up the line from Sankt Moritz. The bit from Italy is very scenic and has the loop. I think the bit further north is even much more impressive.