Please sign in to post.

camera lenses

What is a good lense people have used on travels? I am looking for something flexible and reasonable for my Nikon digital SLR...and I have my preferences, but just wonering what others are using.

Posted by
833 posts

I would go with bringing 2 or 3, because I feel like that number can provide you with some good ranges. Last time I made sure to include my f1.8/50mm and I was so glad I did. Otherwise I would have never been able to capture night shots like this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/drc09/5386331161/) one in Switzerland or some great portraits of friends while we were visiting Torcello. You can get away with two lenses, a f1.8/50mm and a 15-85mm, and you'll be able to take some great photos. If you want a telephoto, pack that along as well. I wouldn't weigh yourself down with too many though. Which lenses do you have already?

Posted by
1021 posts

The only lens I travel with when flying is a 17-85mm for my Canon dslr. With a mini-tripod, that's flexible enough for me. Anything more is a hassle. But then photography isn't my main purpose in traveling. If I'm driving my car, I might put in a long lens or two and even a 2x extender.

Posted by
5678 posts

When I was traveling with my film Canon SLR I used a Tamron lens that was 18 to 200. I found that wasw the only lens I needed. It didn't do true Macro, but I got by. When I got my DSLR I did not initially replace that lens and oh my did I miss it! Now I have a Tamron 18 to 275. This is probably slightly more long lens than I need, but it was the best option at the time. The only draw back is weight. It's a heavy. I where cross ways over my shoulder so I can keep it in front of me at all times. I was using it a couple of weeks ago in NYC and it landed rather nicely on top of a small messenger bag that carried my other stuff. Also, I have an OpTech USA cover that protects it when I stash it in the messenger bag. BTW I do take a small Point and Shoot for evening and other times when a big camera is too much. Pam

Posted by
263 posts

Devon, neat picture. I did want to avoid carrying multiple lenses. Pam's 18-200 is the option I am leaning toward today, but I change my mind as fast as air fares go up.

Posted by
643 posts

Bringing my Nikon D300 to London was the best decision I ever made. That city is so full of interesting architecture, etc. I took a massive number of photos while we were there last time. I found my Sigma 10-20mm wide zoom was a great one to have for interiors and narrow streets. My Nikon 16-85mm VR zoom was terrific for most of the photos I took on the trip. And my good old Nikon 50mm 1.8 was great for night photos and just a small lightweight lens to use. If you're shooting with a Nikon DX format DSLR (like the D300, D90, etc) I'd buy the Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX prime. A superb lens in every respect! I also bring along a small point and shoot camera for times when I don't want to bring out the big camera, like on the tube or in a restaurant.

Posted by
3696 posts

I use an 18-125 Sigma on my Nikon for my travel images. I definitely want my camera to be easily accessible, no need for tripod. I have gone the route of more equipment and tripods when I used medium format film cameras, and also brought along 35mm for infrared, and polaroid... my camera bag weighed a ton and then there was the film... now it is so easy and I want the freedom of just grabbing one camera and going. I do bring two cameras as I am a professional photographer, but always leave my back up in the room when I am out for the day. For me, less is more and I will never go back to a ton of equipment.

Posted by
32212 posts

Terry, It would help to know which Lenses you currently have? Also, what type of subject matter do you prefer to photograph? I've found that I tend to use two Lenses the majority of the time - a 24-105 and a 10-22 wide angle. I usually pack along a 70-300 as well, but only use it occasionally (it's very useful on occasion). I'm not familiar with the Lens choices for Nikon, but they should have something close to the models I use. Happy travels!

Posted by
263 posts

Thanks for you suggestions. I went with a 28-200 with the intention of only taking the one lens. I always enjoy the suggestions and help I get from the helpline. I especially enjoyed looking at some of the art work you folks have done! Thanks and good travels.