Please sign in to post.

Venice to Switzerland

My boyfriend and I want to spend 4 days in Switzerland. Currently we're in Venice. For someone who's never been to Switzerland (and is on a moderate budget), which is the best city to visit, and what's the best way to get there?

Posted by
118 posts

Hi Erin! I would advise train to Milan and then into Switzerland. The closest area to see in Switzerland would be Zermatt and the Matterhorn. When the train gets to Brig, change for Zermatt. It is a wonderful town and the Gornergrat train up to the Matterhorn is awesome (in good weather). I'm sure you'll love the train ride from Milan to Brig through the Alps too. There are so many wonderful places in SWitzerland and I'm sure many people will suggest other places but hopefully you will be able to get there. You won't be sorry.

Posted by
1633 posts

Depends on what you want to see and do. If you want to be up in the alps, you'll need to be prepared for a lot of snow. Gimmelwald and Muerren are quaint, small towns in the alps. However, they still have a lot of snow and cold weather. In Muerren, we stay at Hotel Alpina. Current rates for a double with breakfast is 140 Swiss Francs. If you walk around these towns, you may be able to find something else for less. Rick Steves' Switzerland tour book has suggestions for lodging in Gimmelwald. Do you happen to have that book with you? For a small city set in the valley of the Swiss Alps, you could visit Lucerne. Although, IMO there is not a whole lot to do there. You could take the train to Mt. Titlis. Again, be prepared for snow. Have fun on your trip.

Posted by
6898 posts

If you intend to get anywhere near Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen, Murren, etc. you have an 8.0hr-9.0hr. train ride. Once into the Lauterbrunnen Valley, it's the alps on steroids. However, its that time of the year when the area transitions to summer tourism from ski season. It's called "shoulder season". Many places will be closed. If you intend to vist this area, check with your intended hotel to see if they are open.