Please sign in to post.

england

staying with friends. should we go to Alnwick Castle and another one or York? What about Hadrian's wall?
we are in Whitehaven. any other suggestions?

Posted by
1022 posts

You'll be almost on the doorstep of the Lake District with the Yorkshire Dales only a bit further on, so I would put those on the itinerary. Housesteads Fort on Hadrian's Wall is terrific. Alnwick Castle looks wonderful and should be well worth a visit. You could also check out the ruins of Melrose Abbey which isn't too far away, then there's Edinburgh...

Posted by
719 posts

You might get better responses if you post this in "the north", not here in the west. Having said that, I would definitely go to York. It's a great town. The cotwolds are not to be missed, either.

Posted by
331 posts

The Holy Island of Lindisfarne is not far and certainly worth a visit (some great English pubs too) and Bamburgh Castle is also close. Stunning beaches! The film the Sand Pipers was filmed there.

Posted by
5678 posts

There are lots of great places in the North. Rivaulx Abbey was wonderful. I've not been to Fountains, but I've heard it's even better. I also like Castle Howard. If you are there when rhododendrons are in bloom I suspect that the gardens would be fantastic. That said, York is wonderful. The Minster and walls were interesting. I also like Hadrian's Wall. Housesteads has a good museum and info about the forts with great views. Chesters was a little smaller. Pam