Please sign in to post.

Best itinerary..

In Germany for 7 days. What's the best itinerary for: castles, flowers, train rides, walking-seeing towns, restaraunts, people

Posted by
638 posts

Since you only have 7 days I would concentrate on the Rhine, Mosel region, mainly between Frankfurt up to Koblenz down the Mosel to Trier.

Posted by
12040 posts

Where are you flying into? Will you drive or use public transportation? What time of year? And by "best", do you mean "most economical", "most convenient" or "most impressive"? Often, these goals contradict each other. Your question is a little too broad for us to answer without more information.

Posted by
6941 posts

I think Barry has it right. Do the Rhine/Mosel area. I would expand the area he mentions to the Rhine north of Koblenz as well - Cologne, Linz, and Remagen are each visit-worthy for different reasons. On my most recent 6-day trip to the area I used a VRM 3-day pass (34 Euros for one, 40 Euros for 2-5 people) to visit the Rhine towns between Oberwesel in the south and Rolandseck in the north, and to visit the Mosel between Bullay and Koblenz. Other nearby lines along the Lahn (east from Koblenz), Nahe (west from Bingen), and Ahr (west from Remagen) are covered as well. The pass covers you on all regional (RE, RB, MRB, VIA) trains and all public buses and trams in the area too, which is quite convenient if visiting a larger city like Koblenz. Buy the ticket (Minigruppenkarte) at a yellow/gray VRM Regio-Ticket machine at any station within the area. Places to stay: http://www.bensbauernhof.com/accommodationsrhinemosel.html