Please sign in to post.

Innsbruck to Fussen

I want to travel either by train or bus or a combination of from Innsbruck to Fussen, without having to go via Munich. Car rental is not an option. I'm stumped.

Posted by
19099 posts

The most direct way would be to take the train over Seefeld and Mittenwald to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and then the bus (RVO 9606) to Füssen via Oberammergau. It's all on the Bahn website.

Posted by
813 posts

When I looked at the bahn.de website, you can go from Innsbruck, change in Garmisch-Part., change in Reutte, to Fuessen, in 3hr 15min.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for your replies! I'm no longer stumped. I hadn't looked at the bahn.de website. Rail Europe and the Austrian train sites did not show this information.

Posted by
19099 posts

I found the same information on Austrian Rail, but it was harder to understand. As for Rail Europe, they only provide information for routes they sell, and those are usually the most expensive trains, so, you see, they wanted to sell you a ticket through Munich. Only the Bahn has the complete schedules. Kathy's right, the fastest route is through Reutte (I just don't like Reutte). If you go through Oberammergau, you can spend some time there. You can also probably go to Pfronten and take a bus from there to Fuessen. The advantage of that route is that, except for Innsbruck to Mittenwald, it can all be done with a Bayern-Ticket. The disadvantage, you have to spend time in Reutte between trains.